Iain Boal on Mon, 6 Feb 2017 19:04:24 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> 10 Preliminary Theses on Trump

Greetings from Berkeley.

We knew of course how the Bannon/Breitbart axis would spin our 'radical
act of negation', viz. the choking of Sproul Plaza and the blocking of
access to a campus pulpit for Yiannopoulos and his fascist theatrics.
For sure, social media were instrumental, though hardly causal. The
blockade was coordinated by a combination of wireless neo-technics
(Signal feed) and old-skool amplification (bullhorn).

These negative victories should be celebrated and need their
remembrancers, especially when they seem to leave no trace. But here in
the Bay Area, it was the 'freeway revolt' of the early sixties - the
world's first - by a cross-class, trans-ethnic alliance of San
Franciscans that saved from destruction the Golden Gate Park panhandle
which was a key site in the struggle for unlicensed performance and free
expression. Such spaces were the 'condition of possibility' for the
local pulse of antinomian energies and collective resistant intensities
code-named the sixties.

Looking back, most of our victories have been won in the open air, by
direct action. And will continue to be.

Iain