Sascha D. Freudenheim on Mon, 23 Jan 2017 17:07:05 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> January 23, Trump Question

To answer the last question first, I don't know precisely, but
impeachment won't start until the Republicans in Congress feel
that they have an acceptable rationale lined up, one that will be
unambiguously clear to the 60+ million people who--despite everything,
despite overwhelming evidence of his incompetence, narcissism,
and boorishness--nonetheless voted for Trump. Three days in, that
rationale isn't there yet.

But what really struck me in your email was--again--the obsession on
this list and elsewhere with the idea that all of this signals the
death of capitalism.

This is hogwash. It's magical thinking.

Just based on the march I attended in New York for four hours on
Saturday: 99% of those people were not protesting capitalism.
Sure, there were a few people carrying signs about the "corporate
oppressor." (I counted three of them.) But most of those people seem
to like the choices that capitalism offers them. They just want it
better. Kinder and gentler if you will.

And the march was four hours of one day. None of the people I know,
anywhere in the world--and I have friends around the world--are
looking to move to a system that offers a certainty of basic comforts
with none of the benefits that also come with taking risks.

Maybe you'll say "Well, that's all they've ever known." True. But
I don't see any evidence at all that our society, or any other, is
looking to put an end to the system of independent market-based
decision-making that capitalism offers. Do they want fewer oligarchs?
Yes. Do they want more basics provided based on the wealth that the
capitalism provides (like healthcare)? Hell yes. But actually getting
rid of capitalism--and Uber, and AirBnB, etc.--nope, don't see it.

But, hey, maybe this group wants to start a Kickstarter campaign to
fund Ending Capitalism. :)

[Sebastian, apologies: you're not my target here. Heck, I don't even
know you! You just triggered the outpouring.]

Sascha