morlockelloi on Sun, 17 Apr 2016 06:40:52 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Guardian > Monbiot > Neoliberalism -- the ideology

The widespread imposed or voluntarily adopted anonymous (or not so anonymous) ideologies, that facilitate the demise of their believers, are hardly a new phenomenon. Expecting that naming them is going to change anything is a fallacy.

The current predicament is exactly this - assumption that changing mode of thinking is a way out. Modern rebel economists, activists, whistleblowers, all of them cement this predicament, basically that "the truth will set you free" (and that shit is hardly new - John 8:32). They are starting to sound like freakin' hippies.

It doesn't work. We've seen the truth and we are not free. Get over it.

Defeating an ideology takes another ideology that produces better weaponry. Historically speaking, the new winner is generally less aesthetically pleasing than the defeated one. Expect nostalgia for neoliberalism.