Antonio on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 04:35:13 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> gentrification of hacking

   I am sure that many of your already read these articles or they know
   them by heart

   Nonetheless I feel like refreshing your memory:

   http://peerproduction.net/issues/issue-3-free-software-epistemics/peer-reviewed-papers/free-software-trajectories-from-organized-publics-to-formal-social-enterprises/

   http://peerproduction.net/issues/issue-3-free-software-epistemics/debate/there-is-no-free-software/

   Also, since "gentrification" is the key issue in here, I would like to
   quote this passage from Blake in his review of Richard Smith (2003)
   work which I think could fit the ongoing discussion:Â

   "In actuality, networks may contain ubiquitous actants occupying fluid
   positions, who like Deleuze and Guattari's (1987) 'journeymen' and
   'monsters' operate in relation to mechanisms of control but also retain
   lines of escape of their own. This can be illustrated by Neil Smith's
   (1992) analysis of the position of artists in the gentrification
   process. In the Lower East Side artists can be seen to have a
   meditating influence in gentrification, since low rents and government
   subsidy may attract them to an areas, raising its cultural image enough
   to attract gentrification. Nevertheless they have a ubiquitous role in
   this process, since rising prices may finally push many artists out of
   the neighbourhoods and some may therefore support activities from
   original residents resisting gentrification. At the same time however,
   artists may benefit from new markets created by the gentrifiers,
   leading to the presence of oppositional art in mainstream galleries. In
   this sense artists can be seen to occupy a fluid position in the
   networks linking gentrifiers with the established community. Thus they
   may be seen as an example of the non-conforming identities described by
   Star (1991: 39), in that they operate "between the categories, yet in
   relationship to them"."

   a.

     Â  Â When Stephen Levy wrote "Hackers" in 1984, his description of hacker
     Â  Â culture and his write-up of the hacker ethic were, to a considerable
     Â  Â part, based on Richard Stallman. Already in that year, Levy called
     Â  Â Stallman the "last of the true hackers". Stallman created the GNU
     Â  Â Project in the same year out of frustration of what had become - or how
     Â  Â little had remained - of the original M.I.T. hacker culture.
 <...>