John Hopkins on Thu, 2 Apr 2015 21:08:36 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> nottime: the end of nettime

(echoing) thanks to Ted & Felix (and prior moderators and admins) for all their hard work over the years. I've managed to maintain an almost-complete offline archive since subbing back in late 1996 -- 23,989 posts. A few instances of disgusted un-subbing was followed by climbing back in the now-creaking saddle. I like being able to do searches across that archive to see who has posted what about what. And it wouldn't be impossible to tabulate who has generated the most verbiage over time...

For example, I see that David posted only two times in 2000 -- in March and August...

I do hope that, somewhere, before the plug is pulled, that some statistical info is harvested -- how many subscribers, at least, and in 20 years, release a list of participants at the end.

Starting with ZKP4, I used the list as a resource for teaching workshops on networking and creative action as well as to alert my international students to a more nuanced, imaginative, and (for North Amurikan folks, waaay more critical) view of the Internet and its techno-social context. I never felt it was about being in the vanguard, but rather simply a somewhat more transparent vision of what technology 'hath wrought'. Though there was a good dose of optimism that has long-since evaporated in the face of ten years of whatever the hell is going on out there.

The aging demographics are visible across any medium that one becomes in youth habituated to. I note this with IRC; the online 'Brainstorms' community (that Howard Rheingold established 15 years or so ago; with who watches (nightly) Cable (network) news; who reads newspapers anymore, and so on. Inevitable, but not a death-sentence unless one feels a deep need to influence other demographics in what seem now to be more trivial ways.

nothing is forever, but I ain't gonna unsub now ... gotta go back outside to finish a worm farm.

jh
Dr. John Hopkins, BSc, MFA, PhD
grounded on a granite batholith
twitter: @neoscenes