morlockelloi on Sun, 9 Nov 2014 03:10:31 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> FW: Blogpost: Smart Cities vs. Smart Communities: Enabling

The problem is more fundamental, but was encountered before: literacy.

Take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Illiteracy_france.png - we're somewhere in the computer literacy where France was in the traditional literacy in early 1700s. And it will probably take us as long to get out of this.

Higher literacy rates were not accomplished by fancier tools (pens and paper), but by slow and painstaking education.

Fancier tools won't accomplish much - that's one of the most damaging myths around computer literacy. Computer literacy is not something you can give to someone.

So if you think that you have a solution that will arm illiterates against the organized literates in few years, you don't have anything, except maybe a hobby.