Aymeric Mansoux on Sun, 15 Jun 2014 03:05:05 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> a free letter to cultural institutions

Rob Myers said :

> Florian Cramer:
> > If, for example, a punk band would decide that it is not releasing
> > its recordings under a free license - for which it might have sound
> > political arguments
>
> I'd be very interested to hear why a punk band wouldn't want to
> release music under a free license.

I think that what Florian is hinting is that there is something terribly
wrong in imposing a certain distribution model and copyright practice
upon artists. This would put free culture in the same camp as the one
they are opposing. After all, a lot of free culture supporters have been
charmed by the opportunity it gives to get some control back over
intellectual property mechanisms that have been already decided for them
and are hardly mutable (at least not as fast as it takes to listen to a
good punk song ;)

And then, there is of course some practices that just cannot work with
free culture licenses. Say for instance someone or group supporting
illegalism or anti-copyright practices releasing something under a
copyright supporting mechanism like free culture licenses, would be
rather odd. It does not remove the fact that, yes, as sadly proven with
all the anti-copyright works made in the past that are now copyrighted,
the anti-copyright position is a difficult one to hold these days, but
that does not mean one should not be able to turn that into a valid
artistic statement either.

> > To clarify: At WORM, we have fostered, (co-)hosted and
> > co-instigated a whole range of free culture projects, such as the
> > Hotglue and now SuperGlue web site creation system, the Libre
> > Graphics Research Unit, the Free?! conference last fall,
>
> I attended Free?!, it was excellent.

Thanks! :D

There is a draft video edit of the whole evening conference. Hopefully,
we can put online the final version before the end of the year.

a.
--
http://log.bleu255.com