Armin Medosch on Sun, 6 May 2012 10:16:13 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The insult of the 1 percent: "Art-history majors"

Hi,

more semantic analysis

> I know this began as an "anarchist" mailing  list but
> let's be honest about power and its sources, okay?

Apart from the fact that I doubt that nettime ever was anarchist in
any clear-cut way, although it always had an anarchistic streak, I
find that phrase 'let's be honest' highly problematic and just like
'complex' it serves a certain purpose of cutting discussions short.
Should we 'be honest' and agree that there was never such a thing as
leftist politics? Even in the USA, Mr. Stahlman, there were powerful
mass movements of workers and intellectuals who faced down the elites
and forced them to make serious concessions. Even today many types
of struggles where new types of 'mass intellectuiality' are pitched
against elite rule are going on, and to my eyes, are even greatly
intensifying at this very moment. So 'let's be honest' there has
been maybe always a tendency of the elites trying to rule completely
unchallenged, yet lets work to not allow them to get there, because
actually they are quaking in their boots ;-)

venceremos

Armin