allaninfo on Sat, 23 Jul 2011 16:04:03 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> principles of mobilisation (maybe?)

No more mediation by political parties, established or not, seems to
be one of the new principles behind recent mobilisations. Is this the
right way to approach political and social struggles today? How can we
understand this?

Excerpted from Illan Rua Wall:

??? People come out and refuse the current state of the situation.
Their anger brings them to the streets, and there they learn radical
politics, they learn ???overthrow???. We see this in Greece (I rely
here on a description in the latest edition of the Journal of Critical
Globalisation by Sotirakopoulos). By the 15th of June Syntagma Square
appeared to have divided in two, with the political ???frustrated??? in
the lower part of the square gathering around the Free Assembly and
the upper half of the square around the parliament seemed full of the
???apolitical??? frustrated. The radical left feared that the majority
of the indignants were merely there for pleasure rather than some sort
of serious political programme. However, when the police rounded on
the occupiers on the 15th of June, the apparently ???fluffy???
apolitical non-violent side of the square fought back with vigour.
They had been subjectivised in their being-together against the state
of the situation. They were not organised, they were not trained, not
indoctrinated. There was no party revealing the reality behind the
ideology. There certainly was critique, argument and solidarity.
However, these were not mediated in the traditional sense by a party
structure.

This subjectivisation is fascinating. In Tunisia and in Egypt, we find
a crucial example of how this works. In both countries, there was a
huge effort to disrupt the ordinary running of the state. Variously,
the police were restrained and the civil service were blocked from
undertaking the ordinary workings of the state bureaucracy. But of
course, in Tahrir Square, life continued without the police and
without the civil service. The pre-constituted order was suspended and
instead spaces of alegality, or of life without state (in Agamben???s
words) were generated. Ranci??re calls this ???real??? democracy
???where liberty and equality would no longer be represented in the
institutions of law and state, but embodied in the very forms of
concrete life and sensible experience??? (Hatred of Democracy p3).
Thus, in Tunisia we find the refusal of representation coupled with
the opening of an interval between state and life. The ???order??? of
the state, in many instances, is suspended, and in that gap there is
just life without law. This sense of the suspension of the state
however, does not lead to rape, murder and civil war ??? as the
Hobbesean myth of the state of nature suggests. In fact, it is
precisely the attempt to once more create the obedience to the social
contract that has lead to the most violent confrontations. In Greece,
it strikes me that a similar event takes place. Over and again the
people come to the squares and refuse. They refuse labour, they refuse
representation, they refuse! In the space of this refusal an
interstices opens, and in that space a different politics emerges.

The final point I want to make concerns that refusal. In Tunisia it
begins with anger. The story of Mohammed Bouazizi has been told over
and again. This is the man who set himself alight after an altercation
with the police and a failure of response from the local government.
Bouazizi???s situation resonated with the people. However, they were
not just angry with bureaucracy or the police. Rather. On the streets
they cried D??gage ??? clear out, get out. They manifested a simple
refusal of the situation. It is not just Ben Ali but the entire
situation. There is no attempt to reform, to work within the system,
etc. Rather the people refuse representation. Like the characters in
Jose Saramago???s novel Seeing, each provisional government since
January 14th has been silenced by the simple refusal of
representation. This refusal at once asserts the unacceptability of
the secret police and Ben Ali???s neo-liberal reforms, but it is more
than this as well. It is a rejection of the current positioning of the
Tunisian populace in relation to the globalized world order. This is
the same relation that pacifies Ireland.