Heiko Recktenwald on Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:57:43 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Are we in 1935 Germany or 21st Century Netherlands?

Well, the main difference seems to be that people were insulted etc less by a climate of hate or by opinions, but by the state and its law. You were not allowed to marry etc. And later people were actually killed. Again not by citizens, but by an industry run by the state. This is completely different, the Holocaust is different anyway.....

In the Netherlands we have not more than a slight change in attitude, hardly noticable, more on a philosophical level, and IMHO that Wilders is not in prison now is a very good sign because such things must be discussed in a free athmosphere. A free society needs such discussions as well.

The big example for the success of openness is England and the Dutch were very similar. The Romans come to mind as well. But I dont know the arguments of Wilders..

Best, H.