Keith Sanborn on Fri, 17 Dec 2010 14:11:36 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Wikileaks: Internet politics in Italy

There is great irony in all this since the Internet is the principle medium of surveillance. I think the Chinese response to Internet "freedom" is an atavistic response based on old totalitarian roots--what Debord used to call the concentrated spectacle. The parallel is found in PRC styles of spying: instead of institutionalizing carnivore style surveillance, the Chinese government uses old school hacking of privileged channels of communication. The Chinese behavior towards the Nobel shows a parallel belief in the importance of controlling access to "the real." The value of the Wikileaks material is in confirming what you already suspect about US diplomacy which is why it's so easy to suspect it of being spun by spooks. I personally don't think it is, but it IS being released by the NT Times which has a long history of cooperation with the CIA, as Chomsky and Herman exposed long ago. Curiousier and curiousier. The word "redact" in American English is a bizarre Latinism betray
 ing extreme behavior hiding behind a preposterously neutral self-descryption. Spelling intentional.

On Dec 16, 2010, at 4:48 AM, Vito Campanelli <info@vitocampanelli.it> wrote:
> I do agree with you. I'm convinced that the fear of Internet is the
> global common ground for contemporary politics; this is self-evident and > before everybody's eyes in the case of China, less explicit in the case > of "democratic countries" that are slowly and silently converging on the > point that Internet must be regulated and kept under surveillance: the
> flow has to be channeled - somehow - into secure rivers.
 <...>