Michael H Goldhaber on Mon, 15 Nov 2010 04:48:45 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Steve Coll: Leaks (The New Yorker)

I think the paradoxes of wikileaks haven't been much discussed. (My apologies if this has already been said here.) The more they dump raw ks is  files at us, the  more , rather than directly studying the files, we rely on the existing media to sift through them for us. Further, of course, we and wikileaks rely on government ( or large institutions of some kind) to produce these files in the first place. Then wikileaks is subject to the randomness or purposefulness of the leakers, who may well be governments themselves. Compared with good and systematic investigative reporting (which we certainly don't have enough of now) wikileaks is far from the best we should aim for.

Best,
Michael