dj lotu5 on Fri, 27 Mar 2009 05:42:51 -0400 (EDT)

<nettime> My Gender is Bunny

I’m very happy, and not so happy about this article on the cover of this
week's San Diego Reader. I’m happy that the project is getting so much
exposure. I’m very unhappy that the author chose to ignore my choice of
pronouns, present the whole project as some mad scientist project “at
tax payer’s expense” and put a ridiculous picture on the cover instead
of one of the many photos and second life screenshots from the
performance. At least the author had the courage to admit at the end of
the article that I told him what pronouns to use and that he chose not
to. Overall, I think that he quoted me at length, and accurately, on the
core issues on the performance, which I really appreciate.

Also, if you’d like to see documentation of Becoming Dragon, life size,
up close and personal, come to Open Studios at UCSD
<http://www.ucsdopenstudios.com/2009/>
[http://www.ucsdopenstudios.com/2009/] next Saturday, April 4th!

      My Gender Is Bunny

By Ernie Grimm <http://www.sandiegoreader.com/staff/ernie-grimm/> |
Published Wednesday, March 25, 2009
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2009/mar/25/my-gender-bunny/

I’m sitting on a leather couch in the middle of a darkened black-walled,
black-ceilinged room talking to a man who, at taxpayer expense, takes
hormones to become more like a woman yet is in the middle of an
experimental performance in which he seeks to become a dragon.

Micha Cárdenas, the 31-year-old man/woman/ dragon in question, sits in a
chair three feet from the couch. He’s facing me, but I can’t see his
eyes due to the stereoscopic headset he’s wearing as part of a
performance art project called /Becoming Dragon/. The headset limits
Cárdenas’s view — except for peripheral vision — to the online world of
Second Life, where he’s spent every waking moment of the past 11 days
living as a dragon named Azdel Slade.

The room is in the California Institute for Telecommunications and
Information Technology building on the campus of the University of
California, San Diego, where Cárdenas is a third-year graduate student
in the master of fine arts program with a personal emphasis on
performance and media. /Becoming Dragon/ is part of Cárdenas’s master of
fine arts. For the performance, Cárdenas is spending more than 15
consecutive days living in Second Life. “My contract with myself was to
be in Second Life for 365 hours [wearing the headset], except when I go
to the bathroom.”

In addition to the headset, Cárdenas wears motion-capture hardware on
his body. Eight cameras mounted high on the walls around the
15-by-30–foot room capture his motion and translate it to the brightly
colored dragon on the movie screen at one end of the room. The cameras,
from my seat on the couch, which sits dead center in the room, look like
big red eyes peering down at me. On-screen, the dragon stands in the
middle of a Second Life room that has been constructed to look like the
room we’re in. What’s on-screen is what Cárdenas sees through the
stereoscopic headset. In order to have some semblance of face-to-face
interaction with me, Cárdenas has asked his 28-year-old assistant and
fellow grad student, Elle Mehrmand, to set up a camera that transmits an
image of me sitting on the couch into his headset. The result is
disconcerting. I’m watching an image of myself sitting in a room
imbedded in a computer version of the same room. To make things more
disconcerting, the image has a three- or four-second time delay. And
Cárdenas’s voice is being filtered through a modulator, which has a
slight delay. So I hear everything twice, once in his soft, yet deep,
speaking voice — the hormones don’t seem to have raised his voice yet —
and a split second later in a guttural, higher-pitched computerized
garble that sounds (to me) more like a sinister gnome than a dragon.

Coming in, I had expected to see someone more, well, drag queenish.
Cárdenas doesn’t give off that vibe at all. He’s dressed in a black and
gray leopard-print jacket over a black T-shirt and gray pants. Four-inch
black piercings dangle from his ears. His arms are covered with tattoos
that wouldn’t look out of place on a biker or professional athlete. He
wears his hair in an androgynous style and length. His posture,
mannerisms, and speech are neither overtly feminine nor masculine. And
that’s the way Cárdenas sees himself, somewhere in between. Asked
whether his dragon “avatar,” as Second Life characters are known, is
male or female, Cárdenas answers, “Neither. Both. Neither and both, just
like in real life.”

Asked if he identifies himself as gay, he says, “No, I identify as
queer, which is a nice label outside of labels, which means that I don’t
identify as gay because that would mean I’m a man who likes men, or as a
lesbian, which would mean that I’m a woman who likes women, but as
queer: I am just attracted to who I’m attracted to. But generally, I do
like femme people, usually genetic girls.”

Cárdenas has a hard time saying exactly when he got the idea to perform
/Becoming Dragon/. “For the last three years,” he says, “I’ve been doing
work that deals with the body and technology, specifically putting the
body online. I’ve been thinking about online public spaces such as
YouTube, MySpace, or Second Life. I think of it as an online ‘public
space’ since there are 15 million users. Also,” Cárdenas chuckles, which
through the voice modulator sounds like the laugh of an evil overlord in
a Japanese cartoon, “I read this one-page short story in the back of a
comic book called /T-Gina/ about a transsexual woman named Gina. The
story was about this couple sitting at home wondering why their
neighbors were so uptight about their recent species-change surgery. And
then, when I started to take hormones and think about myself, I started
to think about the question of species identity.”

Though the idea of species change sounds absolutely loco to just about
everybody, Cárdenas in his travels in Second Life has found a community
of people who long to change their species from human to some kind of
animal, real or imagined. “I’ve discovered as part of this performance
that there are a lot of people who have sex and have relationships and
get married as dragons and bunnies and other species. The most common
thing is hybrid species. Right now, I’m a dragon. But there’s also
another avatar I use which is this thing called a Neko, which is a
half-cat, half-human kind of person. Nekos that are half-human,
half-animal are really common in Second Life. Something that’s happened
in the last few days [during the performance] is I’ve met a bunch of
people who call themselves Otherkin, and they have this whole community
who feel really deeply, painfully, truly that they are some other
species. This couple that talked to me was a dragon-man and a fox-woman.
They both said, very seriously, that if they could get species-change
surgery, they would do it in a second.”

Does that strike you as insanity of any kind?

“Well, it struck me as surprising,” Cárdenas lets out a long, rolling
dragon chuckle that echoes off the walls of the room, “but good. I was
worried that maybe people go to Second Life to be dragons and whatnot
because it’s safe and easy, and you’re just playing. But after a week of
doing this, I’ve had many people come to me and say, ‘No, this is very
serious to me.’ ”

Cárdenas adds, “It doesn’t really strike me as crazy. I know people who
think about gender as an open kind of expression. That’s what I’m trying
to explore and develop in this project, is gender not just limited to
male/female and not just in between male and female — femmy boy or butch
lesbian or something — but gender as a texture of identity or a layer of
identity, so each person could have their own gender. So I know people
who feel like their gender is bunny or they feel like their gender is
monster.”

My head is spinning, and it’s not just the delayed voice and video
making it spin. I haven’t gotten used to the idea of species change; now
we’re talking about species as gender. “That’s how they feel about their
gender expression,” Cárdenas explains. “They’d say that bunny, for
example, is the idea that best expresses or sums up what they think
about their gender. And talking to the people who want species-change
surgery, gender and species are very closely related to them.”

Cárdenas was seven years old, the fourth of four siblings, living in
Miami, Florida, when his parents divorced. He lived with his mom and
sister for eight more years, until his mother was diagnosed with
schizophrenia. After that, he lived with his dad and stepmom for a
couple of years, then with his sister for two years. Given that
background, it would be easy to label him the product of an unstable
upbringing. But that would be /too/ easy. He was stable enough to
acquire a degree in computer science from Florida International
University. And as I talk with him, he rattles off quotes from a half
dozen or so philosophers and authors, despite 11 days of poor sleep and
the mind-numbing effects of wearing the stereoscopic goggles. And
there’s a cool-headed albeit radical quality to the goals he’s trying to
achieve with this project. “Yeah, sure,” he says, “I’m trying to explore
in terms of living in Second Life the potential for species-change
surgery, and I’ve been researching the limits of biotech and how far we
are away from species-change surgery. I’m also definitely doing it as a
political gesture,” he says, “to make more space for transgendered
people. It seems like if it were more accepted that people want to get
species-change surgery, maybe I wouldn’t get such funny looks for
wanting to change genders.”

Cárdenas adds, “I felt a little guilty for talking to the transspecies
people because I don’t really identify as a dragon. I picked dragons
because, for one, they’re not so easy to gender male and female. And
most dragon literature, Western and Eastern, features dragons having
shape-changing ability. So that’s something I really want to think about
with this performance; how do we think and talk about people who are
changing, people we don’t have names or labels for, somebody in
transition who is not male or female. And how does that change our ideas
of politics. We have had years and years of movements, writing, and
struggle based on particular identities. How do we update our thinking
so that we’re not talking about the women’s movement or the black power
movement but something else? And that’s not to discredit those movements
at all or to say that those movements are unimportant, invalid, or
anything. But ideas about identity are different now than they were 30
years ago. Feminism nowadays has to do with expanding this notion of who
gets to be a woman. And it’s not so much about biological women per se
as it is about gender freedom.”

Cárdenas’s thoughts about his own identity and his transgendering
efforts seem more nuanced than the stereotypical
I’m-a-woman-in-a-man’s-body thinking. Since August 2008, he’s taken
“estradiol, a form of estrogen, and spironolactone, a testosterone
blocker.” But, he says, “I definitely don’t think I could take hormones,
then get surgery, and become a real woman. I just don’t think man and
woman really exist.”

The cost of Cárdenas’s hormone therapy is “covered by the University of
California health insurance. All gender services up to $25,000 are
covered. Which is funny, because if I did want surgery, now would be a
good time to do it.”

The University of California Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and
Intersex Association website confirms that “As of 2007–2008, UC San
Diego…programs cover trans health benefits up to $25,000 per year.”

The cost of the /Becoming Dragon/ project Cárdenas estimates to be
“around $40,000 to $50,000.” On top of that money are the hours spent on
the project by volunteers such as Mehrmand and four other support staff
who bring Cárdenas food and help with the equipment. Then there’s space
usage and equipment usage. The motion-capture system he’s borrowing from
the university “is a half-million-dollar system. So there’s a cost
associated with using that. The beginning first few months of this
project was me writing grants.” He got a $2500 grant from the University
of California Institute for Research in the Arts and a $5000 grant from
the California Institute for Telecommunications and Information
Technology. “The money I raised went to other equipment, videotapes, and
things like that.”

The University of California Institute for Research in the Arts is a
grant-giving office that provides up to $5000 to artists within the
university system. The institute, says its website, “is committed to
supporting risk-taking research that might not otherwise find funding
from other University or extramural sources.”

The California Institute for Telecommunications and Information
Technology has buildings at the San Diego and Irvine campuses of the
University of California. The buildings were erected with $100 million
of state money. The group’s website is full of nebulous writing about
shifting research paradigms and bridging the gaps between disciplines
and between academia and industry. It amounts to a telecommunications
and information technology research institute funded by a combination of
state, federal, and industry money.

Cárdenas says “the bulk” of the funding for /Becoming Dragon/ came from
the Center for Research in Computing and the Arts, which, its website
says, is “an Organized Research Unit of the University of California,
San Diego whose mission is to facilitate the invention of new art forms
that arise out of the developments of digital technologies.”

Cárdenas adds, “CRCA estimates that they provided over $20,000 worth of
support including the space, the equipment including the motion capture
system, and months of staff support time from numerous people. And that
number was before an additional $2500 they contributed toward buying
computers.”

Ars Virtua, a media and art center within Second Life, provided Cárdenas
“a grant of usage of their virtual land. They granted me a parcel that
is 4096 square meters.”

/Becoming Dragon/ is Cárdenas’s final performance for his master of fine
arts. He plans to push on for a Ph.D. in fine arts. For his Ph.D., he
says he’s thinking about doing some kind of performance art involving
“body hacking.”

“Body hacking,” I ask, “as in hacking with a hatchet?”

Cárdenas roars with computer-modulated dragon laughter — a terrifying
sound. “No, no, no, no, no, hacking as in hacking a computer.”

More dragon laughter.

“I think about hacking with computers as another kind of exploration —
finding novel ways of doing things with computers and technology. If you
look at the /Hacker’s Dictionary/ definition of ‘hack,’ it’s not
breaking into computers, which is more ‘cracking.’ But when people say,
‘That’s a good hack,’ it means, that’s a clever, novel way of doing that
thing. The journalist Quinn Norton has written a lot about body hacking,
which is people doing DIY [do it yourself] body modification. Usually,
it’s DIY body modification that is functional. Quinn Norton got an
implant of a magnet in her finger, which basically gave her a sixth
sense to detect if something was magnetic. That’s one classic
body-hacking example because it’s functional and it’s a modification.”

Cárdenas isn’t sure what form of body hacking he may perform on himself
or what the end of his transsexuality will be. “I’m still a work in
progress,” he says. “Part of the idea of body hacking is that your body
is the platform, which is also totally related to performance art. When
I think of body hacks for myself, I think about how could I experiment
on myself safely, or relatively safely,” Dragon chuckles, “to move
toward some of these things like fur or color changes or something like
that. That’s something that I’m thinking about for my Ph.D., or for
future projects, at least: how does body hacking and widespread access
to medical knowledge transform our potential for being something else?
Because, right now, the potential is totally limited by the medical
institution and the psychiatric institution. For instance, if you just
want to become a woman, you have to go through a year trial, you have to
convince them that you’re passing [as a woman] for the whole year.”
(Cárdenas chose 365 hours for /Becoming Dragon/ to call into question
this one-year requirement.) “But body hacking is interesting to me
because medical knowledge and medical hardware are getting cheaper, the
way the video cameras are getting cheaper. So it seems like soon we’ll
be in a much easier position to change ourselves. Ten years ago, the
performance artist Orlan, who is my biggest inspiration, was doing
performance by getting plastic surgery live onstage. She was getting
body modifications to look more like famous pieces of art. Eventually,
she got horns implanted in her forehead. Well, nowadays you can just go
to a piercing place to get horns put on your forehead. It’s not the most
crazy thing.”

Before I leave Cárdenas to live out his final four days as a dragon in
Second Life, I ask, “Do you believe that there’s a God who created you
as you are?”

“Oh, no,” the dragon answers, “that’s as far from what I believe as
possible.”

Author’s note: Micha Cárdenas asked that feminine pronouns be used in
this story. With respect, the author declined.

--
my blog: http://bang.calit2.net/tts