inimino on Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:57:36 -0400 (EDT)

Re: <nettime> Digital Humanities Manifesto

Flick Harrison wrote:
> I think the main problem I have in this discussion is that I can't
> say that a lightswitch is isomorphic with numbers. Nor is a telegraph
> button.

I don't think anyone is arguing that a lightswitch qua lightswitch
is isomorphic with numbers.  Its {on, off} states certainly are.

> On / off is a binary state that could be counted, could be
> numbered,

What more is required?

> but to demand that a switch-state equals a numerical state
> is just to impose conceptuality on a physical fact.

Isomorphism is not equality.

I'm not sure what you mean by "imposing conceptuality on a
physical fact", but I don't think we can get far in language
or applied mathematics without naming and numbering things.

It reads to me like you might be hung up on the idea that a
lightswitch in the off position is somehow the same thing as
a mathematical concept zero, but nobody is suggesting that.

--
http://inimino.org/~inimino/blog/