Jon Lebkowsky on Wed, 21 May 2008 00:34:04 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Steve Cisler

Sad news. Steve was just an explosion of virtual energy around community
networking, and a true digital explorer. For the longest time, he was
everywhere you looked. More than one community will feel his loss.

~ Jon

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 9:41 AM, David garcia <davidg@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 20 May 2008, at 04:15, t byfield wrote:
>
> > Steve Cisler passed away on Thursday 15 May, from a medical  condition
> > he'd known about for several years, which had worsened over the last
> > several months. His wife, Nancy, said that he was with his entire family
> > --  which had grown in the last few years -- and that he was relaxed and
> > accepting as his health faded.
>
> I was shocked and upset to hear this morning of Steve Cisler's passing and
> very grateful for Ted's tribute and portrait. This helped to fill out the
> picture for those of us for whom Steve meant a great deal but who were not
> fortunate enough to have known him as a personal friend. Those involved in
> putting together The Next 5 Minutes will know him as someone who
> contributed important content, ideas and knowledge very generously and
> often invisibly. In this (and many other) contexts his experience, sense
> of history and proportion had the effect of litrally grounding us. Steve
> was a fatherly man without ever being patronizing.
 <...>

--
Jon Lebkowsky
512 762-6547

------=_Part_2219_3308631.1211296441305

&gt; Steve Cisler passed away on Thursday 15 May, from a medical &nbsp;condition<br>
&gt; he&#39;d known about for several years, which had worsened over the last<br>
&gt; several months. His wife, Nancy, said that he was with his entire family<br>
&gt; -- &nbsp;which had grown in the last few years -- and that he was relaxed and<br>
&gt; accepting as his health faded.<br>
very grateful for Ted&#39;s tribute and portrait. This helped to fill out the<br>
picture for those of us for whom Steve meant a great deal but who were not<br>
fortunate enough to have known him as a personal friend. Those involved in<br>
putting together The Next 5 Minutes will know him as someone who<br>
contributed important content, ideas and knowledge very generously and<br>
often invisibly. In this (and many other) contexts his experience, sense<br>
of history and proportion had the effect of litrally grounding us. Steve<br>
was a fatherly man without ever being patronizing.<br>
Ted describes him as &#39;a material guy&#39; and so emboldened, I hope it won&#39;t<br>
sound trivial to say that the first impression he usually made was of was<br>
as an impressive physical presence. A large hansomly craggy man who, (on<br>
his regular visits to the european media culture events) seemed to have<br>
stepped right out of a classic western, legendary cayak on the ready to<br>
navigate the amsterdam canals. But the frontiersman image was soon<br>
contradicted by the fact that nothing he ever said or did suggested any<br>
hint of aggression much less heroic posturing. Nevertheless in a context<br>
often rife with mindless &#39;America bashing&#39; he brought with him some<br>
valuable and frequently forgotten atmospherics of an older America, a<br>
Whitman like sense of large open spaces and an atmosphere of solitude even<br>
in his sociality.<br>
I am sure that Ted is right in saying that he was not utopian but his way<br>
of life seemed to suggest the quest for a certain kind of freedom and<br>
candor. He was &nbsp;devoid of any trace of crass individualism but there was<br>
an attractive quality of self sufficiency, a deep independance of mind an<br>
spirit. I do hope that those nearest and dearest to Steve realise how much<br>
and how widely he will be missed.<br>
David<br>
# &nbsp;distributed via &lt;nettime&gt;: no commercial use without permission<br>
# &nbsp;&lt;nettime&gt; &nbsp;is a moderated mailing list for net criticism,<br>
# &nbsp;collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets<br>
# &nbsp;more info: <a href="http://mail.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l"; target="_blank">http://mail.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l</a><br>
# &nbsp;archive: <a href="http://www.nettime.org"; target="_blank">http://www.nettime.org</a> contact: <a href="mailto:nettime@kein.org";>nettime@kein.org</a><br>

------=_Part_2219_3308631.1211296441305--