Michael Benson on Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:04:08 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> nettime as idea

I haven't posted to nettime in what a Slovene friend would no doubt
call "the age of a dog," but read it quite regularly and still
consider it a kind of ongoing online cornerstone, and have to say that
my vote (be it worthless for the above reasons, or not), is in kinship
with David Garcia's eloquent mail today. In my experience when
something's really very definitively _not_ broken -- and not broken
for the good reason that some few people have made damn sure that it's
in a good state of repair -- then "fixing" it runs the real risk of
breaking it. So why do that? In other words, a proposal can be concrete
without being constructive, and (as Garcia says) can also seem
disrespectful and denying of achievement. Felix Stalder writes of
personal abuse as being part of the job, and part of the problem in
general with work, be it for free (and let's recognize how hard _that_
is in super-streamlined 21st century hypercapitalism) or for money, is
that there's always a given quantity of thoughtless abuse that has to
be endured, while praise is (or seems) comparatively rare. Nettime's
excellent ongoing health, it has to be said, is due to its contributors
but also its moderators.

Cheers from wind-swept Ljubljana, where the East has moved East (but
Beauty lives on).

Michael Benson