Brian Holmes on Mon, 12 Jun 2006 01:25:11 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: cybernetics and the Internet

Dear Kenneth Werbin and everybody -

By a simple, ironic fact of "information overload" (an
overfull mailbox) I missed what is, to my mind, the most
interesting post I have read on this list for years, which
Mark Stahlman and Ronda Hauben then responded to, but in
ways which have not, I think, exhausted the subject.

The original comments went like this:

"Today, we value information openings and fear closures
against social noise; we fear the -isms they may produce.
This is life in open social order, in cybernetic ecumenical
society. And we are not here by chance. There is a legacy to
this project, of which the internet is but one component.
This legacy traces back to cybernetics and the mass adoption
of a mathematical philosophy that is based on undertsanding
both humans and machines as 'open information processing
systems'. Through a variety of mapping techniques based on
notions of feedback loops, cybernetics seeks to model
socio-technical organizations and environments in order to
subject them to simulation and experimentation with the aim
of predicting movement and behavior, and ultimately
controlling it. While early adoption of such mathematical
philosophy was exclusively military, such notions quickly
extended to questions of social order, leading to a series
of initiatives spearheaded by the US government since the
mid-40s to 'connect' people globally in the hopes of
eliminating what an Adorno study on 'Racism in America'
called the 'authoritarian personality'.

"Simply put, the idea was that the more 'open' and
'connected' people are, the less inclined they will be to
take extreme 'authoritarian' positions of hate. The adoption
of cybernetics as a basis for a worldwide social order was
cemented at the Macy conferences in Chicago in the mid
1940s, which were attended by cybernetic and psychological
luminaries including Norbert Wiener, Gregory Bateson,
Margaret Mead, von Neumann, von Forester and Kurt Lewin, as
well as the CIA. These conferences ultimately gave rise to a
series of 'open' social experiments including the LSD
experiments at Harvard, Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters
and also ARPANET. Contrary to many accounts of the impetus
for ARPANET, the idea of an 'open social order' to encourage
a world without hate was the fundamental goal behind the
advent of the internet's predecessor, not fear of nuclear
disaster."

It seems to me that the position you are taking here is very
complex, marked by a fundamental ambiguity. Based on your
understanding of the Internet as a social experiment in the
implementation of controlled complexity, you argue for a
form of "closure" - the taking of positions, the filtering
out of noise - that in your view, if I get you right, will
be the only way to truly "open up" a digital culture that is
being plagued by inertia ("information overload").

Now, I have a lot of reasons to be very interested in your
argument, not the least of which is a paper I wrote years
back, and which continues to be reprinted and translated in
various languages, called "The Flexible Personality." It
examines the development of the networked economy precisely
as a systemic response to the spectre of the "authoritarian
personality" described by Adorno et. al. You might find
certain parallels to your ideas in my text, which if you're
curious is in my archive at www.u-tangente.org, accessible
under my name at the left, in the section "Hieroglyphs of
the Future." However, the text has no particular importance;
whereas I think the precise discussion that you are bringing
up really does.

Over the years I have only become more interested in the
ways that a cybernetic approach allows for the control of
complex systems, by intervening, as Foucault once said, "not
on the players but on the rules of the game." It seems to me
that in the era of American-led networked globalization, if
we are to rediscover any autonomy - any chance for a
collective "self" (autos) to establish its own "law" (nomos)
- then we will have to first perform a careful analysis of
the large systems in which we are caught, and which
establish our intellectual and communicational horizons.
However, at the time when I did my first concentrated work
on this problem, and still today, I did not have the
references to the decisive, early period in which cybernetic
thinking began to be appropriated and developed by the US
government, military establishment and associated civil
society. As time has gone on, through historical studies
mainly based on world-systems analysis, I have increasingly
come to recognize the determinant importance of WWII and the
immediate postwar period in shaping the very parameters of
the history in which we continue to live. Those parameters
are logistical, they involve the ability to carry out
industrial operations over vast distances, as first achieved
in multi-theater warfare, then developed further through the
development of civilian air transportation the sea-land
container; but they are also communicational, they involve
the creation of complex feedback systems to guide and
continually adjust those farflung logistical operations, as
James Beniger shows in his impresive book, The Control
Revolution. For these reasons I would appreciate it very
much if you could post any writing you have done on the
specific subjects you touched on in your post, and perhaps a
bibliography which those of us on the list, who are
interested in persuing this conversation, could use as a
basis for an informed discussion.

In particular I'm wondering where it might be possible to
consult the 1951 edition of Wiener's "The Human Use of Human
Beings." Was the entire book altered? Or only a key chapter?
If so, could that chapter be scanned and distributed? Mark
Stahlman refers to an alteration, but doesn't say exactly
what it concerns.

Not long ago in Berlin, at a seminar organized by Geert
Lovink and Anna Munster, the discussion turned to the
foundation of nettime and the way that the "immanent net
critique" of the mid-nineties was driven by the reading of
Deleuze and Guattari's Thousand Plateaus - which, you might
agree, is basically a counter-cultural appropriation of
cybernetic theory (the title itself being a reference to the
work of Bateson and Mead in Bali in the 30s). It was said
that the difficulty of launching a new immanent critique was
that no such master discourse was in sight; and then, as you
can imagine, came the idea that we should have to invent the
very discourse of a new critique. I think the ambiguity that
you point to, in the deployment of cybernetic systems for
the cause of an open society, and to the effect of a
controlled one, could contain the germs of a new immanent
critique which would allow us a much deeper and more
powerful interpetation of the ways that globalization is now
proceeding. That interpretation, in its turn, would make new
practical experiments possible, beyond the limits and
naivetes of the old tactical media paradigms. I think we
ought to work on this!

Anyway, let's say it seems like Montreal nettime meeting was
really not in vain.

all the best,

and thanks again for the brilliant post,

Brian