Kali Tal on Fri, 9 Jun 2006 02:15:39 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: life and lurking in Berlin

As an intermittent poster who has fallen into quiet lurkerdom over
the last several years, I have to say that nettime is still one of my
favorite reads.  I delete most mail from other lists unread, but I at
least skim almost everything that goes by here.

I am on the other side of a 20-year academic career and when I was in
the Academy I found the critical work on nettime invaluable for
thinking through the issues important to me, even if those issues
were most marked by their absence: race/gender/class manifestations
in cyberspace. There were and are smart people here, who seem to be
overall motivated by what I'd call extremely good intentions even if
I don't always think everyone is on the right track (and where would
I find a place I thought everyone was on the right track?). I'm not a
star of any kind, but I also must admit I completely forgot that
nettime is moderated since I've never sent anything that didn't get
posted or had a conversation with someone who was annoyed about not
getting posted. I don't tend to post essays here, but my personal
reflections on issues seem at least as welcome here as in places
where personal reflections are encouraged.

I would like to take advantage of the current liveliness of nettime
to ask if anyone on list is doing (or knows of people doing)
interesting tactical media-related work in Berlin.  I moved here in
October and my German is still sub-standard, but my technical skills
and creativity can hopefully still be useful to someone or some
organization during the time it takes me (the next year or so) to
learn to communicate in a brand new language. I'd welcome some human
contact and the opportunity to do good work at the same time. If you
know of anything, please contact me backchannel.

About "nettime vs. The Blogosphere"... I think both spaces are
useful, and that combining them can be quite powerful.  Actually, I
recently did the most anti-Academy thing I could think of and built a
home page and started blogging on MySpace (http://blog.myspace.com/
kalital).  My reflections about the nature of interaction (with a
specific focus on truth and lies) in the Academy has actually
garnered me a wider and more interesting readership than I thought
possible--primarily the folks who mesh up with the later generation
nettimers, the ones who will never get those plum tenure track jobs
and funding to attend conferences.  As a space for young (I'm 46, so
anybody under 30 to me is young) black graduate students and creative
artists, it seems to be really taking off. The mix of music and video
results in some fascinating projects and, for the first time in
years, I feel like I'm actually in conversation in a virtual
environment again.  It reminds me of the early years of the radical
listserv, back when most of us were grad students or new faculty
members discovering the potential and possibilities of new media.

Peace.

Kali Tal