Jody Berland on Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:28:27 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> publication of "Jyllands-Posten" cartoons is not...

Well yes, I would have to agree with this, I was not asking for total
relativism in world cultural policy but simply for more cultural reflexivity
in the context of this discussion.  I don't think one has to be a moral
relativist (or Stanley Fish) to suggest that more geopolitical reflexivity
all around would help move things along.  I don't feel justified in making
decisions about what should or should not offend and horrify other
cultures -- the nature of taboo is so varied.  You can't burn an American
flag, for instance, although you can make bikinis out of it.  I have had
relatives arrested for burning their own draft card.  And I am most
certainly not saying that feeling offended and horrified justifies violence,
or I would have murdered my entire university administration by now.
I am saying that we need to try harder to come to terms with the
underpinnings of these debates,  for instance that one side poses it in
terms of religion, the other in terms of freedom of speech, and that the
discussion will offer more enlightenment when we can move beyond these
binaries. For instance,  it wasn't just the fact that the cartoon "mocked"
the religion that was the problem; it was that it violated a sacred
prohibition on showing the face of Mohammed.  It was thus a direct assaults
on the freedom to practice that religion.  It is too simple just to say they
can't stand being mocked in cartoons.  It is too simple to say it is all
about freedom.  It is too simple to say it is all about images, too.
I am a pacifist, more or less, and a life long advocate of the rights of
women, gays, visible minorities, and homeless cats.  I think we can take our
discussion farther when the need arises.

Jody