Jody Berland on Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:13:01 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> publication of "Jyllands-Posten" cartoons is not...

It seems to me that in the midst of this intelligent conversation, the
elephant sitting in the room is being missed.  Freedom of speech amounts to
a kind of religion in American culture.   It is only useful to term it a
religion if you acknowledge that it is a civilizational ideal and political
common sense for American culture the same way other kinds of beliefs are
for other cultures.  Thus the "cultural sensitivity" referred to (more or
less negatively) by free speech advocates in this discussion is equally true
of the upholders of free speech, for whom the concept of free speech holds
sacred status.  My point is not only that different cultures think
differently about fundamental social issues, but that these social entities
have power in disparate degrees.  If the free speech advocates were
acknowledging that theirs is a specific political ideology maintained by
U.S. politicians, corporates, bureaucrats, hackers, civil liberties
advocates and others, ie. specific to the historical formation of the
American subject, it would be easier to find a way to discuss these issues
with others with different political formations.   It's not that I think an
ideal dialogue of rational understanding is always or necessarily possible,
but this lack of geopolitical reflexivity on the part of people saying free
speech is always, necessarily and absolutely a higher value than all other
values, is giving me a pain.  Let's have some global self-awareness here.

Jody Berland