nettime's cartoonist on Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:14:56 +0100 (CET)

RE: <nettime> publication of "Jyllands-Posten" cartoons is not... [3x]

Table of Contents:

   RE: <nettime> publication of "Jyllands-Posten" cartoons is not...
     Joe Lockard <Joe.Lockard@asu.edu>

   Re: <nettime> publication of "Jyllands-Posten" cartoons is not...
     Florian Cramer <cantsin@zedat.fu-berlin.de>

   Re: <nettime> publication of "Jyllands-Posten" cartoons is not...
     sascha brossmann <01@brsma.in-berlin.de>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:42:52 -0700
From: Joe Lockard <Joe.Lockard@asu.edu>
Subject: RE: <nettime> publication of "Jyllands-Posten" cartoons is not...

I write this from Poona, in India; last Friday there were huge protests on the
streets here about the Jyllands-Posten cartoons in faraway Denmark and
unfortunately innocent Europeans filming were subjected to anger and taken into
shelter though the protests were otherwise non-violent.

Its unfortunate that the persona of the Western Artist should seek to defend the
publication of such cartoons in the name of Freedom of Expression but fail to see
through the political agendas behind such cultural production. The attempt to
blatantly provoke and naturalise the representation of Others in our media to
secure an electoral backlash for the calculated ends has become a formula for
success; sadly in Europe today ? in Denmark, the Netherlands - this is precisely
what sanctioned European political parties and politicised Islamist agents are
intent on delivering to their electorates. In a postcolonial networked world, the
cultural Kristallnachts can be anywhere. But this is not the mid 20th century.
So why defend this matter in the name of freedom of speech? For those of us who
BELIEVE we have the (or the luxury of) freedom of expression, enjoy the belief!
but bear in mind that there will be those who are paying the price for this.
Just like all the other inexhaustible pillars of Modernity - like infinite
availability of energy, and so forth - everything has material and political
limits and nothing is inexhaustible or universal.

[...]

Siraj Izhar s-i@publiclife.org

- ----

Siraj,

Any advocate of not publishing cartoons of Mohammed should consider that the
demand here is essentially for a free pass on lampooning or satire of any nature.
This position demands that critics of Islam or any other religion should respect
'cultural sensitivity' and refrain from visualized critique of religious figures
or practices.  Polite deportment in a place of worship or compliance with another
household's expectations is a matter of good manners and respect for neighbors.  A
grant of immunity to religion from negative representation on grounds of
sensitivity is quite another and quite impossible, since the very concept of
critique here lies in discomfiting the certainties and practices of religious
faith.  An affirmation of a right to blaspheme -- that is to say, a right to
express a different or counter-opinion towards sanctified 'verities' -- is at the
heart of the Enlightenment.  It appears in texts such as Jean-Jacques Rousseau's
'Profession of Faith of a Savoyard Vicar', which recognizes that both Moslems and
Jews have a right to their own non-Christian 'heresies'.  There is no cause to
surrender this Enlightenment-born and hard-established tradition for some fairly
blas=E9 Danish cartoons.  All religions are subject to critique, and it seems
predictable that the faithful will deem satirical representation as blasphemy,
racism, or whatever might stick.

Poor taste has the same legal protection as good taste.  Which is good and which
is poor are not legal questions.  The very notion of 'taste' implies that there
will be that material adjudged in 'poor' taste alongside that elevated to the
status of 'good' taste.  Those standards change as a culture itself changes, and
in a multicultural society there will be many tastes, often in conflict.  In a
multicultural society it becomes even more important to emphasize the legal status
and social value of free expression irrespective of 'cultural sensitivity', given
that these societies need to express their internal conficts openly in order to
resolve them. That strong strains of xenophobia and racism flow through
contemporary Europe is unquestionable.  Public education is far more effective
response than censorship, even if a slower means of social prophylaxis.

Joe Lockard

Joe Lockard
Assistant Professor
209 Durham Languages and Literatures Bldg.
English Department
POB 870302
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-0302
Tel: (480) 727-6096
Fax: (480) 965-3451
E-mail: Joe.Lockard@asu.edu
http://www.asu.edu/english/who/lockard.htm

Antislavery Literature Project
http://antislavery.eserver.org/

------------------------------

> why defend this matter in the name of freedom of speech? For those of us who
> BELIEVE we have the (or the luxury of) freedom of expression, enjoy the belief!
> but bear in mind that there will be those who are paying the price for this.  Just
> like all the other inexhaustible pillars of Modernity - like infinite availability
> of energy, and so forth - everything has material and political limits and nothing
> is inexhaustible or universal.

Please explain why uncensored opinion and free media are limited resources that,
if practiced, take away freedom from others.

- -F

- --
http://cramer.plaintext.cc:70
gopher://cramer.plaintext.cc