E. Miller on Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:54:26 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> funding education?

It seems to me that you interpreted it exactly right.

I teach as adjunct at a state university here in Oregon.  There's just no
money for hiring tenured faculty when budgets are shrinking, costs are
rising, and there's a glut of suckers like me who will teach as adjunct for
a fraction of tenure-track full-time pay.

And if the gig you're referring to is the University of Arkansas one that
came up after Googling the job description, then I'm really not surprised.
UA is hurting for state funding like most US public universities:
http://www.arkansasnews.com/archive/2005/03/03/News/318162.html

Financially it's quite rational and makes sense.  Use the dirt-cheap
adjuncts to teach undergrads, use the tenured 'name' faculty to chase grant
money for research and prestige and USN&WR college ranking statistics.
Teaching ability has nothing to do with it.  And if they can't pull in the
grant money they probably won't be granted tenure after the probationary
period.

Yay, it's a Brave New World of free-market fundamentalism as applied to
education!

Eric

On 3/6/05 9:35 AM, "Aileen Derieg" <emonk@george.eliot.priv.at> wrote:

> A job offer forwarded to a German-speaking mailing list the other day
> caught my attention, not because I am looking for a job, but because I
> find the implications of one of the requirements disturbing, if I
> understand this correctly.
 <...>