Aileen Derieg on Mon, 7 Mar 2005 04:59:44 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> funding education?

A job offer forwarded to a German-speaking mailing list the other day
caught my attention, not because I am looking for a job, but because I
find the implications of one of the requirements disturbing, if I
understand this correctly.

The requirements for this "tenure track position" for an assistant
professor of German at a US university include: "The ability to teach
using new technologies and to produce external funding are expected of
each applicant."

Does this mean that someone who wants this position would have to organize
its financing themselves? What does "the ability to produce external
funding" have to do with teaching ability? Is this kind of requirement
conventional in other fields?

I find the implications disturbing, but maybe I am just misunderstanding
the requirement.
Aileen