Novica Nakov on Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:09:37 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> floss enforcement/compliance

> I understand from the FSF in the US that they deal with enforcement and
> compliance of the GPL. But do they (and I presume with the support of
> Prof Moglen) only do it within the US. That is within their jurisdiction?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html says:

Under US copyright law..... only the copyright holder or someone having
assignment of the copyright can enforce the license.

If I understand this correctly FSF is only enforcing licenses and worrying
about compliance for their copyrighted work. FSF has a GPL Compliance lab
that works on such issues all the time. Still a copyright holder can ask
for help from FSF, and FSF will most likely provide help in this kind of
issues. MySQL AB case and netfilter/iptables case come to mind.

I'm guessing that copyright laws are similar all over the world since there
was a conference, in the 80's I think, that set the guidelines for
copyright laws. So probably copyright holders outside the US can ask for
help from FSF Europe and FSF India if they have problems with license
enforcement for their copyrighted work.

--
Novica