Carl Guderian on Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:54:08 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Re: executed-coat-thief

On 21 January, 1793 (2 Pluviose?, Year I of the Republic, One and
Indivisible), Citoyen Louis Capet was beheaded. Absent other notable
prunings of the Royal family tree, Europeans could combine, as Americans
did with Presidents' Day (combining birthdays of Lincoln and Washington)
the two regicides into one January holiday. But late January is just the
worst time for a holiday. All the post-Christmas sales are early-mid
January, and most people don't get paid until the end of the month.

But why not turn the royal family itself into an emblem of modern Europe
(a New/Old Europe, if you will)? Replace the crowned heads with a single
monarch, like the Holy Roman Emperor, but with a modern twist. Europa I
would be a hermaphrodite cloned, quickened and decanted from the genes
of the rulers (or pretenders, in republics) of each EU member state (if
the EU expands again, DNA from new countries goes into Europa II, the
next iteration). The U.S., thanks to short-sighted government policies
concerning genetic research and failed corporate strategies for
exporting GM technology to Europe, is ceding its lead to Europe.
Naturally, European geneticists would screen for funny lips,
haemophilia, and talking to trees.

So that Europa I, II,...,N would have the pick of palaces and rotate hir
presence among them, existing royal couples would be pensioned off and
each given the second best palace in their respective countries. They
and their immediate families would get modest but comfortable stipends
and perform local ribbon-cutting ceremonies, etc. The rest would just
have to get jobs. Local Old Boy/Sloane networks will see to them.

Messieurs and mesdames, Europe is being handed a golden opportunity.
Think of the tourist draw!

I sorta got the idea from Gore Vidal's 1960s novel "The Judgment of
Paris."

King Carl

--
Games are very educational. Scrabble teaches us vocabulary, Monopoly
teaches us cash-flow management, and D&D teaches us to loot the bodies.