Brett Shand on Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:20:52 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: executed-coat-thief

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:28:22 +0100, jorn.ebner@britishlibrary.net
wrote:

>> Von: richard barbrook <richard@hrc.wmin.ac.uk>
>>

>> Rather than refighting ancient faction fights, it's more
>> interesting to question why the English don't have their
>> equivalent of the 14th July and 4th July holidays: an annual
>> celebration of the modernising revolution. Even though it
>> happened over three centuries ago, our ruling elite is still
>> embarassed by this inspirational moment in our history. Apart
>> from it being so cold in mid-winter, I like the suggestion that
>> we should celebrate 30th January: the day in 1649 when the tyrant
>> king was executed for his crimes against the people. If nothing
>> else, this date would prevent the holiday's recuperation for an
>> official ceremony which included the current royal family...

How about February 13th?

An Act Declaring the Rights and Liberties of the Subject and Settling
the Succession of the Crown:

Whereas the Lords Spiritual and Temporal and Commons assembled at
Westminster, lawfully, fully and freely representing all the estates
of the people of this realm, did upon the thirteenth day of February
in the year of our Lord one thousand six hundred eighty-eight [old
style date] present unto their Majesties, then called and known by the
names and style of William and Mary, prince and princess of Orange,
being present in their proper persons, a certain declaration in
writing made by the said Lords and Commons in the words following ....

This is the preamble to the English Bill of Rights. Didn't include
rights for Catholics too much, but then you can't have everything in a
national day, can you :) And it's the day the constitutional monarchy
started ... another good idea that didn't quite work out.

Brett