Jason Handby on Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:42:29 +0200 (CEST)

RE: <nettime> Delicious Sweetness

Bruce wrote:
> *"In America, the poor people are fat"
>
> *Perhaps one can bomb the benighted foreigners into eating more sugar
>
> *Contemplate the awesome wisdom of the USA bankrupting the WHO even as
> SARS eats its way into the planet's lungs

What particularly amused me about the sugar/WHO story was that it appeared
at the same time as this one, about researchers hoping to use gene therapy
to treat diabetes:

  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2963529.stm

Rather than investing millions in research into gene therapy to treat "the
growing problem of diabetes", wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to apply
what we already know, and actually encourage people to eat more healthily
rather than lying to them about the effects of sugar?

Here's an extract from William Duffy's book "Sugar Blues". Disturbing
stuff.

  http://www.nexusmagazine.com/SugarBlues.html

Jason