N Jett on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 01:28:01 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> FW: Online games increasingly a place for protest, social activism Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 22:18:25 +0000

I'm in the There beta test, I was just at a meeting in it a few nights ago
about organizing antiwar actions in the game. Don't know who the other
antiwar people are in real life but they seem to be doing a decent job and
have their heads on right about how to spread the antiwar message within the
context of the game (e.g. a rally rather than a protest). Since so much of
the game is about socializing it's the perfect medium for
discussing/debating the war, especially since you can open up a browser
within the gameworld - makes it easy to refer people to info to back up your
position.

njett - http://gogobot.blogspot.com

>This isn't quite Hactivism, nor is it cassettes bringing down the Shah, but
>the blurring of the lines between the virtual and the "in your face" seem
>be continuing apace...
>
>MG
>
>http://www.canada.com/vancouver/story.asp?id={103302E8-9571-4390-8019-DCAB2C
>E7D3D7}