Hengdorn_Maedford_Sumatra-Bang on Sun, 9 Feb 2003 20:26:46 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> RE: form

Dear Jeffrey,

Wow. At this point, I must say, I am quite fiercely struck--as I think it
would be impossible for any feeling soul (or thinking brain) not to
be--(a) by your enthusiasm and steadfastness, and (b) by the new name of
the company for which you worked.

I think it is important to stumble upon this latter item (b) just for a
moment, especially in view of your interest in the "emerging markets"
domain.

Let us look at things closely. The doctrine of market freedom is of course
at its root intended to give license to the profitable activities of the
most wealthy--especially within "emerging markets," i.e. among the
domestic and remote poor, whether these be the peasants of 18th-century
England or the teeming masses of today's Bangladesh.

For of course wealth-deriving activity has had to be justified in one way
or another, especially to the "emerging markets" at whose expense it is
often conducted. There is no point in announcing to the poor and to others
that the wealthy need to be more wealthy than they currently are "just
because"! You can see this! Always, there must be reasons, especially so
far as convincing the "emerging markets" goes.

Until roughly the mid-19th century, these reasons and justifications were
founded in the empyrean realm. Wealth, during this period, was a mark of
divine favor, and the pursuit of wealth was therefore pleasing to the
godhead in question. This of course mirrors the respect that folks in
those olden times had for the godhead, whether they were scholars,
politicians, military folk, or most importantly the "emerging markets"
themselves.

In the second period--after Darwin, roughly--the wealthification of the
already wealthy was promoted as the only "natural" possibility, building
on the "survival of the fittest" refrain that had by then lodged itself
deep in the psyches of scholars, politicians, etc., as a likely bed for
justification of anything whatsoever (including, of course, as it turned
out, some of the 20th century's most gruesome excesses).

Finally, at the start of the 21st century, this model of natural justice
in the human landscape has begun to reveal its age. It is now standard
college fare that life in the natural world is based more on cooperation
than on competition. It is also terribly clear that those modern economies
most hewing to "Darwinian" neoliberalism have what can only be described
as planned economies, with the "fittest" lording it over the rest in regal
splendor and with the "least fit" puttering about the backwaters with no
hope of ever attaining dry ground. In these settings there is neither
competition nor cooperation, but only hierarchy, classification, and
stasis.

Nature has never been like this, Jeffrey--neither for Darwin nor his
successors. And so the "Darwinian" model no longer provides a useful
ossature for championing the supremacy of wealth-deriving activities.

Ironically enough, it is becoming quite clear to many that the only such
fundament possible may be precisely those empyrean realms forsworn by the
wealth-apologists just after Darwin! For to judge from the detailed
eyewitness accounts of August Swedenborg--the 18th-century predicter of
the great Lisbon earthquake and founder of Swedenborgianism, which still
has adepts in Pennsylvania--heaven is a series of perpetual hierarchies,
flexible only in so far as is necessary, with each supernal ring admitting
only those elements of inferior rings that further the plans of the Most
High.

The ranks upon ranks of Swedenborg's angels are intended somehow to serve
all humankind, rather than just the wealth of a small elite. But the basic
layout of this heaven--a kind of rotisserie grill, or series of
same--resembles today's corporate order far more than does the natural
world.

Do you know if the flamboyant and eccentric CEO of "divine" is perhaps a
Swedenborgian? Is he from Pennsylvania? These things are interesting, in a
human-interest sort of way.

In any case, to sum up, I think this conjuncture--the presence on your
resume of this item ("divine"), with your interest in how we interface
with the "emerging markets" that are always, always in question--augurs a
most productive relationship between us, in which much could be brought
from one to the next, from next to the one, ad infinitum.

I say, let us begin. How would you like to do so? What is the first thing
to do?

With every best hope,
Hengy