Ryan Griffis on 9 Jan 2001 12:52:04 -0000

<nettime> RE: Disassociate Webdesign From Usability

Geert and friends,
It seems that this discussion is taking a lot for
granted. What do we mean when we say something is
"innovative" or "useful?" Did these terms become
static, essentialized notions again?
If we say that web/screen design is behind programming
and superstructure development, it is behind what
exactly - evolutionary technological progress? What is
it that web designers have to catch up to? The
aesthtics of functionalities are still aesthetics,
with all the same baggage.
While I certainly would say that web work such as
nettime and others are innovative in many ways, I
think I mean innovative for specific interests.
Whether or not a program or visual interface is
"innovative" or not remains an arbitrary value
judgement.

ryan