Tiffany Lee Brown on 11 Dec 2000 20:04:40 -0000

<nettime> SIGNUM issue

[From the latest installment of SIGNUM's two-part theme, "Whatever
Happened to the Cyber Revolution?" It features personal stories about
the New Economy, the cyberdelic early '90s, and the web explosion.
Brenda Laurel reveals her thoughts on what happened at Purple Moon,
while Mark Pesce riffs on his early days in the web business. Other
contributors include Doug Rushkoff, R.U.Sirius, Brad Wieners, Richard
Kadrey, and Jon Lebkowsky. -tiffany, SIGNUM editor.]

A Lettuce from the Editrice

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! So pull up a chair, sip a jet
black demitasse of schadenfreude, and observe the spectacle. When it
comes to new media and the new economy, many of us have awaited this
inevitable moment for a loooong time-since before many of today's
industry types knew what what the letters WWW meant.

Does this mean it's fun to lose your job and watch your stocks
plummet? No. But anyone who didn't see it coming wasn't paying
attention. I'm no economist, as my regular readers have no doubt
cleverly deduced. Like most of us, though, I am capable of observing
humans and their funny ways, watching cultural phenom emerge and
evolve, and recognising patterns and cycles as they uncoil over time.
Whaddya know? I haven't run into any real examples proving that the
virtual can replace the physical, or that concepts like "money" can
negate basic human needs. And as boring as it may sound, things that
go up do seem to come back down most of the time.

Some four years ago, a magazine editor encouraged me to write an
article about a nonexistent economic theory of my own invention,
mocking the wild- and wide-eyed new economy theorists whose ideas
were lauded at the time, and leading the magazine's more
literal-minded and parody-impaired readers on a snipehunt. Though I
never took him up on his offer to publish the thing, I loved the idea
of it. For the basic tenets and the underlying reality of the
so-called new economy sounded awfully familiar.

 From my point of view as a cultural participant and observer--and
someone who'd been partially disabled by an early '90s Internet
job--the Information Economy looked suspiciously like the Industrial
Revolution it was supposed to replace. Changing the nature of the
commodity (intellectual property, etc., rather than the widgets of
old) did not in any way change commodification itself. Besides, all
this data, information, media, and entertainment was simply added to
the existing pile of stuff one could consume and produce. Americans
would still buy vacuum cleaners and Slinkys and tires. People
everywhere would still need food and shelter.

This radically new, improved economy would enable a minute sliver of
the world's population to make more of this abstract stuff called
"money," thanks to different ways of pushing around abstract bits of
other money and signifiers of corporate ownership and digital
collective hallucinations representing pork bellies. It might enable
a few youngsters to squeeze into the rarefied strata of the rich &
powerful, and it might knock out a few established members. If this
would change the fundamental (im)balance of power and wealth in the
world, I failed to see how. Middle Americans would still chase their
tails in an endless consumer frenzy; citizens of poorer nations would
still fall prey to diseases conquered decades before in the first and
second worlds.

I knew enough to understand that I wasn't supposed to look at such
practicalities, nor think in such mundane laymen's terms. This
"economy" thing was supposed to be about powers far, far beyond my
control and maybe even my comprehension: the virtual and abstracted
realms of points and Greenspans, the mind-boggling weirdness of world
markets and their increasing interdependence, the confusion of big
banks that could steal your money in well-publicized scandals without
getting punished. Apparently the big deal was supposed to be
something about not needing to make a profit anymore; come on, who
really thought that was gonna last? Economics might be far beyond my
education, but this virtual economy sounded pretty squirrelly and not
all that revolutionary.

Now the market is sifting through the dot coms, undoubtedly throwing
out a few healthy babies with the bathwater. Instead of making jokes
about the laughable explanations one can foist off on VCs as revenue
models, people today are talking about operating in the black on the
Web. Things are changing, and novelty is essential to this Web we've
woven. Personally, I think this phase has been a long time coming,
and it may have positive effects, such as shaking us out of the
greedy, shallow, instant gratification mindset at least a little.

When I first conceived of this special two-part SIGNUM a year ago, I
found I kept looking to the early '90s with fondness and nostalgia,
combing my memories for some explanation as to how something so
inspired, creative, exciting, and heady could have wound itself into
a torpedo of greed, e-commerce, and astonishingly bad user
experience. But this interesting and--for those of us whose hobby
turned into an industry--profitable phase of development didn't kill
off what made the Net so cool eight or nine years ago. It just became
dispersed, as more new people and new stuff clambered online. A lot
of us, ourselves, got burned out and cynical, but that's our own
damned problem (and hardly an irreversible one).

Financial success burdened the Net with an explosion of growing
pains. Failure hurts, too, but it's just another part of the process.
It offers its own opportunities, including the possibility of
redefining our relationship to this medium, possibly recapturing the
spirit of independence, rebellion, expression, community, and
downright silliness that got lost in the pursuit of the mighty
dollar. Better yet, we'll move on to an entirely new cultural
crystallization of creativity.

And maybe this time, it won't be about economics at all.

-tiffany lee brown
  editrice, SIGNUM
  http://www.slm-net.com/signum
  copyright (c) 2000 SoundLightMedia