nettime's roving reporter on 30 Nov 2000 00:36:46 -0000

<nettime> Phone Numbers as URLs

Call it convergence. With the increasing popularity of wireless phones as
Internet access devices and the scarcity of good domain names, this could
be an interesting type of convergence. Use your telephone number as URL.
The phone numbers are easy to type on  cell phones and are also easy to
store in the phone's memory. I think Ted wrote about that quite a while
ago.

The idea comes from an Austrian company called Nascomms
[http://www.nascomms.com]. They write:

"We use telephone numbers everyday in numerous forms. Your mobile or cell
telephone is operated by a number, the contacts in your memory in your
cell or mobile are telephone numbers, your fax is operated by a telephone
number, we do business over telephones. Why not use telephone numbers
instead of dot com or any other domain alternative?

It is estimated that over 2 billion accessible web pages already exist on
the web and an expected 4 billion will exist by early 2001. It is
impossible to find them all, but Nascomms personalised numeric addressing
system will allow you to input a telephone number instead of a domain name
(dot com) as the web site or web page address and it will take you
directly to that site or page."