Eric Miller on Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:56:14 +0200 (CEST)

RE: <nettime> windows vs real

hi--

hmm, I wouldn't predict the demise of the Real Server just yet, since the
various Real file formats are proprietary and require a Real server to
stream. They just have too much market share right now for people to
abandon the format/server setup.

Now if bandwidth ever catches up, the server might become irrelevant as
people are more likely to watch Quicktime, MPEG/MP3, and other
open-source/open-source-transport formats that don't necessarily need a
specialized server for top performance.

But I would think that to the consumer, the software player IS the
defining element, not the codec behind it.  People don't differentiate
between encoding methods, they just know what player opens up when they
click on a link.

Eric