Paul D. Miller on Thu, 16 Mar 2000 07:32:23 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Fwd: [afrofuturism] Former KKK Leader Gets Into Rap

----- Forwarded

To: afrofuturism@onelist.com
afrofuturism-owner@onelist.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:10:07 -0700
From: Kali Tal <kali@kalital.com>
Subject: [afrofuturism] Former KKK Leader Gets Into Rap

From: Kali Tal <kali@kalital.com>

This is totally surreal...

Kali

  >Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:34:02 -0500
  >From: Jahzid Allah <allah@metalab.unc.edu>
  >Subject: [BRC-NEWS] HUMOR: Former KKK Leader Gets Into Rap
  >Sender: worker-brc-news@lists.tao.ca
  >To: brc-news@lists.tao.ca
  >
  >FORMER KKK LEADER GETS INTO RAP
  >
  >BATON ROUGE, LA -- David Duke, former Imperial Wizard of the
  >Ku Klux Klan of America, recently announced a business
  >agreement with jailed music executive Marion "Suge" Knight.
  >Knight, CEO of Death Row Records, has reportedly been in
  >contact with Duke for several weeks. Knight, who is Black,
  >was heralded as "a positive role model for Americans of all
  >races," by Duke during a news conference with Death Row
  >representatives. The former Louisiana state representative
  >declared that he is expanding his business enterprises into
  >music.
  >
  >Although his other businesses have failed miserably, Duke
  >claims that he has a firm grasp of the complexities of the
  >popular music scene.
  >
  >"I can get jiggy with it," Duke announced to chuckling
  >journalists. "I know the dilli, yo." Death Row records, once
  >a musical powerhouse, had, between 1995 and 1998, lost its
  >leading gangsta rap acts Dr. Dre, Tupac and Snoop Doggy
  >Dogg. Many observers have considered the company moribund
  >for months.
  >
  >Hoping to capitalize on the southern base of Duke's company,
  >Death Row anticipates a solid challenge to New Orleans-based
  >No Limit and Cash Money record companies. Death Row
  >spokesman Jerome Watkins explains that the parternship with
  >Duke's Tiger Productions is devoid of politics. "We
  >understand that Death Row and Tiger Productions have a
  >mutual interest and can expand our markets by working
  >together."
  >
  >The controversial venture has disturbed many in the music
  >industry. "This is a clear example of a player [who is]
  >getting played," said one music executive who wishes to
  >remain anonymous. "How can Suge Knight rationalize working
  >with someone who hates Black people? Knight can only lose
  >from this venture." He continues to state that Suge Knight
  >"has long demonstrated that he is amoral, untrustworthy and
  >even treacherous. This must be a match made in Heaven."
  >
  >Gangsta rap critic C. Delores Tucker, head of the National
  >Political Congress of Black Women, who has butted heads with
  >Knight in the past, argues that the alliance should not be
  >surprising. "Death Row has long shown complete disregard for
  >Black people. The lyrics of their artists are replete with
  >racial epithets aimed at Black men and Black women. I know
  >why Mr. Duke admires Mr. Knight."
  >
  >The first act slated for a release on the joint venture is
  >rapper Colt Fo-Five, whose single, "Kill a hoe" is slated
  >for a late-September release. His eponymously titled CD is
  >scheduled for a release on Oct. 19. "Colt Fo-Five is a very
  >talented young man. We hope you support his effort," Duke
  >stated.

> [...]

PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2121/1/_/533292/_/953092936/

AfroFuturism|Website
<www.afrofuturism.net>

AfroFuturism|Archives
<www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/
afrofuturism>

[afrofuturism is an apogee project]

----- End Forward

Paul D. Miller a.k.a. Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid

Editor At Large "Artbyte: The Magazine of Digital Arts"
39 East 78th st
New York, New York
10021
Editorial Office Voicemail: 1-212-340-1264 Office Fax: 1-212-807-1952
e-mail: anansi@interport.net OR abstraktionist@hotmail.com
Home Site: http://www.djspooky.com