nettime's_roving_reporter on Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:19:24 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> .eu to challenge dot-com?

Dot-EU to challenge dot-com?
By Elizabeth de Bony, IDG News Service
01/28/2000

The European Commission will propose the creation of .eu as a top domain
name during its regular weekly meeting next week, a Commission spokesman
said today.

The move reflects concerns that the European Union is losing out on the
Internet, and that the creation of such a domain would send a political
signal of the EU's commitment.

"We will lose out on the Internet if we do not introduce the .eu domain
rapidly," said a senior Commission official who asked not to be identified.

The Commission proposal will be followed by six weeks of consultations with
interested parties after which the domain name will be submitted to the
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the
organization that registers global domain names, said Per Haugaard,
spokesman for Information Society Commissioner Erkki Liikanen.

<...>