Ivo Skoric on Thu, 31 Oct 2002 19:33:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Stand up, keep fighting

On October 12th a columnist in the British magazine The
Economist in the column about Paul Wellstone's appeal asked the
following question: "Can an old-time economic populist survive in
George Bush's America?" Two weeks later Wellstone died in a
plane crash. Still, the best answer to whether he can survive or not,
lies in the following message.

ivo

Dear MoveOn member,

In memory of Paul Wellstone, today we're introducing an exciting new way
to channel grassroots energy to a principled Senate candidate.
Wherever you are in the country, you can help Bill Bradbury -- a
Senate challenger who's been outspoken about his opposition to the Iraq
war resolution -- win this key race in Oregon.  Please let us know by
noon EST on Thursday if you can help make a few dozen get-out-the-vote
phone calls at:

   http://www.moveon.org/keepfighting/standup.html

Last night, over 20,000 people in Minnesota and hundreds of thousands
more across the country remembered Paul Wellstone, Sheila Wellstone,
Marcia Wellstone, Tom Lapic, Mary McEvoy, and Will McLaughlin -- the
Wellstone team that died in a plane crash on Friday.  The memorial
service was held in a football stadium packed to overflowing with
mourners, a populist event that fit Paul's vision of a genuinely
inclusive politics.

During the ceremony, friends and family warmly remembered Paul,
Sheila, and the rest of the team.  Paul's son Mark shared an anecdote
about the scrappy wrestling team that under Paul's guidance took the
state championship.  But for people who gave their lives over to the
service of the common good, it was only appropriate that the memorial
was political as well.

Rick Kahn, a close friend of Wellstone's and a campaign staffer gave a
rousing speech.  "I can still hear that strong, clear voice calling
for me that it is now our time to stand up for the people he fought
for. . .  Can you not hear your friend calling you, one last time, one
step forward on his behalf, to keep his legacy alive . . ."

"They will know we were here," he said. "They will know we made a
difference.  They will know we left the place a much better place than
we found it."

To continue Paul's legacy, we need your help.  The Wellstone motto
was, "Stand up, keep fighting."   That's what we need to do now -- we
need to put our heart and soul into making sure that the values
Wellstone stood for are well represented in Congress.

We've come up with a great way of doing this.  Paul always argued that
campaigns aren't won because of money or TV ads -- they are won
because of the strength and commitment of the grassroots.  That's why
we're hoping you can take a few hours over the next five days to help
out Bill Bradbury, a Senate challenger from Oregon who will proudly
stand in Paul's tradition in the Senate.

With our help, Bradbury can win.  Please sign up before noon EST on
Thursday at:

   http://www.moveon.org/keepfighting/standup.html

If you join us, you'll be making phone calls to folks in Oregon to
ensure that they turn in their ballots.  We'll provide the numbers and
a detailed script -- it's really quite easy.  This first of its kind
Internet phone bank could make a huge difference for Bradbury's
campaign.  While Bradbury's slightly down in the polls, an enormous
get-out-the-vote push really could turn the tide.

Bill Bradbury is exactly the kind of candidate we like to support.
He's a man of principle.  He's the only Senate candidate that we know
of who's announced his concern about going to war in Iraq (and his
opposition to the resolution) on TV.  And he has strong environmental
roots -- he even ran a conservation-oriented nonprofit for five years.

A few hours over the next few days could make a real difference for
the Bradbury campaign.  Please join us today at:

   http://www.moveon.org/keepfighting/standup.html

Senator Tom Harkin gave the concluding speech at the Wellstone
memorial.  In it, he said, "Paul was a hopeful man.  Green was his
color.  The color of springtime.  The color of hope.  And the color of
that bus he climbed aboard 12 years ago as he set out on his way to a
better America.  But Paul never meant it to be a solo voyage.  He wanted
us all on board.  Now we must continue Paul's journey for justice."

"So tonight, I ask you: Will you stand up and join together and board
that bus?"

Please help today.

The countdown continues,

-Eli, Wes, Joan, Peter, Doug and Carrie
 for MoveOn.org PAC
 October 30th, 2002

P.S.  For previous reasons and actions in our Election Day
countdown, go to:

   http://www.moveon.org/news/pac_countdown/

Also, if you know other folks who would like to get our email
alerts, have them go to MoveOnPAC.org and click on the
"signup now" link.

P.P.S.  There are some legalities involved: Federal election law
requires that you use your own personal property to undertake this
project.  Use of corporate or employer facilities is prohibited
under federal law.  For this volunteer project, the use of your
own personal property and the costs of your own phone calls are not
considered a campaign contribution under federal law, and don’t
need to be reported in any way.

                  PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG PAC
"MoveOn PAC List" or "MoveOn PAC for Peace" list.  Go to:
http://www.moveon.org/subscrip/i.html?id=868-1441404-k1CIxdxXtXl%2Bv2FjCm6q%2Fg