Gita Hashemi on Sat, 13 Apr 2002 22:04:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] More on Venezuela

Article by: Reuters via ProletarianNews
Saturday 13 Apr 2002

Summary:Reuters. 13 April 2002. Venezuelan Slums Seethe at Chavez\'s Overthrow.

Reference at indymedia website:
http://www.indymedia.org:8081//front.php3?article_id=170967

Article:

CARACAS -- The sprawling slums of Venezuela\'s capital seethed with
rage on Saturday at the military coup that toppled populist President
Hugo Chavez as his political backers struggled to regroup and
organize protests.

A wildly gesticulating group surrounded a Reuters crew at a market in
the grimy working-class neighborhood of Petare, shouting that they
would fight back.

\"There\'s going to be a civil war here. The people are going to rise
up,\" yelled Antonio Orellana, 65.

With the fiery former paratrooper in military custody, his supporters
said they would try to take their seats in the National Assembly for
a scheduled session on Monday even though the new military-backed
interim government has decreed the parliament\'s abolition.

\"We say this is a coup d\'etat and that it is a lie that Chavez has
resigned,\" said Willian Lara, who had been president of the National
Assembly, talking to Reuters by telephone from a hiding place.

He said he feared for his safety and that he had narrowly escaped arrest.

There has been no word whether Chavez has been charged with a crime,
but he was arrested and taken to a Caracas military base on Friday
and has been kept incommunicado. Lara said he had since been
transferred to the Caribbean island of La Orchila, but no military
spokesman confirmed this.

The United States, which had long been irritated by Chavez\'s
friendship with Cuba and worried about his control of the world\'s
fourth-largest oil-exporting nation, has said that it does not
consider his overthrow a coup. Instead it blamed his government for
triggering its own downfall by ordering gunmen to fire on Thursday\'s
protest.

Venezuela is now a deeply divided country.

\"Those who toppled him are thinking, decent people. It\'s the will
of the people which was legitimized by the military action,\" said
Adolfo Freites, a 49-year-old lawyer, speaking to Reuters in an
elegant square in Caracas\' upscale Altamira district, an anti-Chavez
bastion.

But in the slums surrounding Caracas, spreading over dusty hillsides,
Chavez is more of a hero than ever.

Local news media, which are passionately anti-Chavez, have largely
ignored the reaction of Venezuela\'s poor majority.

\"What\'s going to happen to us humble, poor people? President Chavez
helped us. The country is divided between rich and poor,\" said Jose
Delgado, a 45-year-old cobbler.

Article by: luther blissett
Saturday 13 Apr 2002

Summary:communication with Canadian IMC from Venezuelan on the ground
in caracas.

Reference at indymedia website:
http://www.indymedia.org:8081//front.php3?article_id=170959

Article: