Miriam Lyons on Tue, 2 Apr 2002 04:34:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Interface - a festival of ideas

Hey there - Geert said I should send an announcement about Interface to this
address, so here it is:

*************************************

Interface 2002
A festival of ideas on Australia’s media, education, and democracy
20th-21st April, College of Fine Arts, Sydney
www.nexus.org.au

Interface has been created to bring together a diverse range of people to be
challenged and inspired by new ideas, new alliances and new projects. This
should be a unique event – a non-partisan conference exploring ideas from a
diverse range of perspectives on the future of Australia’s media, education
and democracy.

Interface is a cross between a conference and a festival, with forums,
panels, skills-based workshops, film screenings, and Slip~stitch - a cross-
campus competition of political artwork. All welcome. We mean all. We want to
mix first years, activists, creative policy thinkers, politicians, jaded ex-
politicians, journalists, artists, independent media makers, people who run
commercial media, youth sector workers, postgrad students, people who work
for local councils, bureaucrats, academics, culture jammers & advertising
workers...and see what happens.

We'll be covering a lot of issues in two days: anything from strategies for
democratic renewal to sources of stereotyping in the media to practical
workshops on media skills or project funding. We’re hoping that there will be
a session to cater to every level of experience & interest, but also that no-
one will leave without having been challenged, confronted, and inspired. The
full programme is available on our website: www.nexus.org.au

Keynote speakers include:

Kristy Delaney - Youth Action & Policy Association, Mark Davis - Author of
Ganglands, Margo Kingston – journalist @ SMH, Tim Watts – Director of
Ozprospect, Ted Mack - former independent MP, Kerry Nettle - Greens Senator
elect, Clover Moore - Independent MP, Matt Roberts - Young People & Public
Space Project in Western Sydney, Brian Murnane - Argyle Community Housing
Network, Bob Ellis - Author & Journalist, Craig Reucassel – Editor at The
Chaser, Van Badham – Author of The Dole Diaries, Marcus Westbury – Founder of
This is Not Art festivals & the Octapod, Graham Young – Editor of
onlineopinion.com.au. Darren Godwell - CEO Lumbu Indigenous Community
Foundation, Kate Walsh – Aidwatch, James Their - Marketing manager at
Australian Ethical Investment, Roslyn Dundas – ACT Democrats MP, John Tingle -
 NSW Shooters Party MLC, Ross Cameron - Liberal MP, Catherine Lumby –
Journalist & Chair of media studies at Sydney University, Eva Cox UTS -
author & academic, Fiona Stewart – CEO of notgoodenough.org and Ozprospect
fellow, Lorna Clarkson - former K*grind employee, Maureen Cummuskey -
Director, national Youth Media Awards, Gabrielle Kuiper - Independent Media
Centre, & Neil Chenoweth - Author of Virtual Murdoch. More speakers to be
announced online.

To get involved, register to attend, check out the programme or get an
application form for Slip~stitch, go to www.nexus.org.au

All inquiries about Interface can be directed to the coordinator, Miriam
Lyons at miriam@nexus.org.au or 0402429314