scotartt on Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:42:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Where Music Will Be Coming From - Kevin Kelly [2x]

> >-- For a small fee, the producers of your favorite musician will tweak
her
> >performance to exquisitely match the acoustics of your living room.
>
> ... which doesn't matter as the acoustic subtleties are constantly
> outweighed by the combined hums of the computer fan, hard drive & CD
player.

actually the essay kinda really bothered me too, these point-by-point ahh
.. points were very effective.

but this particular item to me, shows the original author doesn't really
know what he's on about. room acoustical problems are almost invariably
found the 'time domain' not the 'frequency domain' -- e.q. or remixing the
source music will make little sense. better and easier to adjust the
position of the speakers (number 1 fix for bad acoustics) or the room
itself rather than fiddle with the music. as well as getting rid of all
those noisy electro-mechancial devices!

at any rate, there will soon be little black boxes that try to fix these
problems for you automatically by comparing source signal to acoustic one.
so the musician won't have this opportunity; sony & yamaha will do it for
you.

regs
scot