PROPAGANDA on Wed, 5 Dec 2001 02:05:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] /// 0100101110101101.ORG /// FTPermutations_1.1

/// FTPermutations /// http://www.webartery.com ///

# From:  "Talan Memmott" <talan@m...>
# Date:  Sat Dec 1, 2001  5:58 pm
# Subject:  Korea Web Art Festival

http://www.koreawebart.org/

# From:  "Talan Memmott" <talan@m...>
# Date:  Mon Dec 3, 2001  6:00 pm
# Subject:  Re: [webartery] Korea Web Art Festival

Apparently 0100101110101101.ORG, one of the artists in the Korea Web Art
exhibition ran something called 'FTPermutations' that ravaged some
directories, changed names on files and ravaged a number of pieces
within the exhibition...

Leading to the Curator getting in trouble, The Korean Ministry of
Culture being turned off now to Web Art, some angry participants.... To
the Ministry of Culture this is merely a hack.

In emails between participants and organizers, the reasons from the
0101010 people are not all that impressive....

It doesn't look good....

>Apparently 0100101110101101.ORG, one of the artists in the Korea Web Art
>exhibition ran something called 'FTPermutations' that ravaged some
>directories, changed names on files and ravaged a number of pieces within
>the exhibition...
>
>Leading to the Curator getting in trouble, The Korean Ministry of Culture
>being turned off now to Web Art, some angry participants....
>To the Ministry of Culture this is merely a hack.
>
>In emails between participants and organizers, the reasons from the 0101010
>people are not all that impressive....
>

>It doesn't look good....

no, i bet it doesn't t.

.....i tend 2 c this _n.tervention_ by 0100101110101101.ORG as an
x.tended n.dic.a][c][tion of the schism that x.ists in terms of
_real.world representative structures & net.wurked 1s........in terms of
it corrupting_ a show d.signed 2 run in][tandem][side a gallery/museum
frame.wurk ][in terms of .wav ramifications][, then 0100101110101101.ORG
has succeeded......unfortunately i don't really think
0100101110101101.ORG's tac.ticks cut the professional mustard, in the
sense that their n.terventions seem less n.clined 2 hi-lite the
reticulative properties of the net.wurk & more n.clined 2 provoke the
media......howeva, their actions here still ill.ustrate the
dichoto.mous][e][ fragility when net.wurked l.ements r super.c.ded..........
chunkoids,
][mez][

I would have seen this as a hack - not "merely" - but I'd hope people
would be aware of the context they're showing in - but 01etc. hasn't
shown that - I do like them, have defended them in the past - Alan

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Talan Memmott wrote:

> Apparently 0100101110101101.ORG, one of the artists in the Korea Web Art
> exhibition ran something called 'FTPermutations' that ravaged some
> directories, changed names on files and ravaged a number of pieces within
> the exhibition...
>
> Leading to the Curator getting in trouble, The Korean Ministry of Culture
> being turned off now to Web Art, some angry participants....
> To the Ministry of Culture this is merely a hack.
>
> In emails between participants and organizers, the reasons from the 0101010
> people are not all that impressive....
>

> It doesn't look good....

>I would have seen this as a hack - not "merely" - but I'd hope people
>would be aware of the context they're showing in - but 01etc. hasn't shown
>that - I do like them, have defended them in the past - Alan

i'd b n.terested 2 read their reasons 4 creating FTPermutations....

cheers,
mez