Chris Csikszentmihalyi on Sat, 24 Nov 2001 00:02:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] New Art & Technology Group at MIT Media Lab

______________New Research Group at MIT Media Lab______________

I am pleased to announce the formation of Computing Culture, a MIT Media
Lab research group dedicated to exploring art and technology.

Computing Culture is in a unique position:  First, it is situated within
the Media Lab, an interdisciplinary research center exploring and
developing new technologies since 1985.  The Media Lab is part of the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, one of the premiere technical
institutions in the world.  Computing Culture seeks to create new
technologies for the full range of human experience, rather than the
applications suggested by market forces, “productivity,” and the internal
logic of technical production.  Some information about the group may be
found at [http://compcult.media.mit.edu].

Our research will result in specific works of art, but will also help
further an understanding of the relationships between art, technology, and
cultural production.  Some of the strategies we practice include
interventions in contemporary consumer electronics, creating special media
events for public situations, and applying technical development to
cultural agendas that wouldn't normally receive it.  Our central interest
is in physically embodied (rather than screen-based) work.

The group’s research centers on studio practice, but includes strong
components of critical media theory, science history, the sociology of
scientific knowledge, and art history and theory.  Research projects are
primarily determined and investigated by graduate students, with guidance
by the group’s director, Professor Chris Csikszentmihályi.  Within yards of
our workshop are other groups exploring nano-bio-tech, quantum computing,
affective computing, interactive cinema, and many other directions:  There
are few environments where artists can access such a wide range of
scientific and technical research.

We are currently accepting applications to the graduate program in Media
Arts and Sciences.  The MAS is a two-year master’s program, during which a
student spends half their time on course work and the other half on their
directed art research.  Tuition is fully funded, and students receive a
significant stipend to live on.  The program and funding are open to
students of any nationality.

Students may be trained in either art or science and/or engineering, but
should show crossover.  For instance, an art student should be an
accomplished programmer, have machining skills, or be able to design and
fabricate electronics.  An engineering students should have done several
art projects, worked with a professional artist, or shown their ability to
author radical or unexpected technologies.  Students should be extremely
self-motivated, and ready to take advantage of the unparalleled
opportunities at the Lab and MIT.  More information on the MAS program may
be found at [http://www.media.mit.edu/mas/#masters].
Application forms may be obtained from the MIT Graduate Admissions office
[http://web.mit.edu/admissions/www/].

Applicants must indicate on the application form (question #2) the
department of Media Arts and Sciences -- we are a separate program and not
part of another department at MIT. "Area of research interest" should
indicate Chris Csikszentmihályi (Computing Culture). Application or
admissions questions may be directed to Media Arts & Sciences (e-mail:
mas@media.mit.edu, tel: (1) (617) 253-5114).

Completed applications must be _received_ by January 8th. The principal
components of an application are: academic transcript(s), the applicant's
statement of objectives, a portfolio, and three letters of recommendation.
GREs are not required. International applicants are required to submit an
official copy of their TOEFL scores to MIT. The MIT institution code for
TOEFL scores is 3514. The Media Lab does not have its own department
number. Scores should be sent to MIT Graduate Admissions, department code
99. The Program in Media, Arts & Sciences requires a minimum TOEFL score of
600 (paper-based) or 250 (computer-based).

Computing Culture also requires the submission of a portfolio of relevant
work.  We’ll accept 1 CD-rom (CD or DVD) AND/OR 8 pages max of A4 or letter
size paper material AND/OR a URL.  If submitting slides, please send no
more than one sheet (20 slides), _not_ in a tray.  CD ROM submissions may
be MAC or PC format, but, due to the number of applicants, should be widely
compatible and immediately ready to launch.  Submit your portfolio with
your application by the application due date. Do not send portfolios
directly to Chris Csikszentmihályi, but rather to the MAS Program. Return
postage should be included in any of the following forms: U.S. postage
stamps, U.S. money order, or personal check (U.S. only). This sum must be
separate from the application fee.

Looking forward hearing from you!

Christopher P. Csikszentmihályi
Director, Computing Culture Group

Assistant Professor of Media Arts and Sciences
MIT Media Lab
csik@media.mit.edu
http://compcult.media.mit.edu