Nicholas Hermann on Fri, 18 May 2001 18:22:06 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Blowing smoke up your ass

From:  fluffysingler@prodigy.net
To: <Genius2000Conference2000@yahoogroups.com>
Date:  5/18/01 10:10AM
Subject:  G2000Conf2000 Rolling Blackouts for the Summer Solstice

Got this yesterday and it seems like a great idea.  Here in
Minneapolis I'm going to try to put together a show with poets,
pagans and greens at a gallery--all by candlelight or
flashlight . . .

ROLL YOUR OWN BLACKOUT
FIRST DAY OF SUMMER
JUNE 21, 2001
7-10pm worldwide, all time zones

As an alternative to George W. Bush's energy policies and lack of
emphasis on efficiency, conservation and alternative fuels, there
will be a voluntary rolling blackout on the first day of summer, June
21 at 7pm - 10pm in any time zone (this will roll it across the
planet).

Its a simple protest and a symbolic act. Turn out your lights from
7pm-10pm on June 21. Unplug whatever you can unplug in your house.
Light a candle to the Sungoddess, kiss and tell or not, take a stroll
in the dark, invent ghost stories, anything that's not electronic -
have fun in the dark.

Read the 1999 book "Natural Capitalism" by Hawken and Lovins to learn
that conservation/high efficiency technologies already ARE on-the-
shelf. If implemented these revolutionary ideas would pay themselves
off within five years, after which we'd be pumping far less
greenhouse gas into the atmosphere and saving bucks to boot.

Forward this email as widely as possible, to your government
representatives and environmental contacts.

Let them know we want global education, participation and funding in
conservation, efficiency and alternative fuel efforts -- and an end to
over-exploitation and misuse of the earth's resources.

Anyone knows that the Cheney-Bush team is blowing smoke when they
tell us that "... conservation can't help, it'll just be too
expensive to implement those technologies..."

Mary Lehmann
110 East 37th St. # 210, Austin TX 78705 .
512 478-9812 tel
478-2052 fax