noah wardrip-fruin on 16 Apr 2001 19:12:42 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> disposal of surplus buddhas

At 8:06 AM -0500 4/16/01, Bill Spornitz wrote:
>Is it just me, or is it generally okay to destroy buddhas (I mean,
>from a buddhist perspective, like?)

"If you see the Buddha on the road..." you mean? I think that refers
to the Buddha being in the way of your Buddhism. As I understand it,
worshipping Buddha is not the point of Buddhism.

Yes, also, Buddhism describes everything as impermanent, and
attachment as a problem, but it goes for people and cultures as much
(and as little) as statues. The Taliban, like the Chinese who occupy
Tibet, are living out their Karma, it seems to me - but that doesn't
mean we don't wish they would do something else (because I just can't
let go of attachment).

Noah