Kevin Paul on 30 Oct 2000 22:23:04 -0000

[Nettime-bold] FW: <nettime> (Voting for)? Nader (is|was) important, get rid of

You know, I remember the first election in which I was eligible to vote:
1980, and I was really excited about a third party candidate running that
year, John Anderson.  I had every intention of voting for him until
shortly before the election when it became painfully clear that Ronald
Reagan, god forbid, might very well become the next president.  I realized
that I had to do everything in my power to prevent that from happening,
which meant voting for Jimmy Carter.  The rest, of course, is history.
Twenty years later, John Anderson has disappeared from the fray, Ronald
Reagan is drooling into his Fruit Loops as we speak, and Jimmy Carter is,
I suppose, the best ex-president we've ever had.

Anyway, what I learned from the experience is this: 1) my vote means
nothing in the big picture, therefore, 2)  in order to invest my vote with
real meaning, I vote for the candidate who I really want should be
president, and that 3) life goes on no matter which corporate toady is
sitting in the Oval Office.

--
Kevin Paul
University of New Mexico: Department of Theatre & Dance