Jeffrey Fisher on 3 Oct 2000 18:40:46 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> The Age of Spiritual Machines (Review)

well, but at one level the question is simply whether or not we will be
darwinian in our view of evolution, which is that there is no particular end
toward which evolution tends. on the contrary.

otoh, junk dna might in fact, be junk, but it's purpose might be precisely *to
be junk*:

http://www.bioresearchonline.com/content/news/article.asp?DocID={187E78E6-8FC5-11D4-8C63-009027DE0829}&Bucket=Latest+Headlines&VNETCOOKIE=NO

"A hypothesis formulated by Adam Heller, who holds the Ernest Cockrell Sr.
Chair in Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin, suggests that genes
are cathodically protected against oxidation by long stretches of non-coding
DNA, sometimes referred to as junk DNA."

found it at http://www.nodalpoint.org/

fwiw

--
jeff fisher