Alan Sondheim on 25 Sep 2000 15:36:53 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Water-shedding

Not that it matters here, but I've never seen myself as a "writer" or
"mostly" anything. If it's defined in terms of bytes, my videowork comes
out ahead. If it's defined in terms of practice, probably the soundwork.
In terms of dissemination, some of the online pieces and collaborations.
I tend to think of myself working in whatever medium seems reasonable and
necessary for the project at hand - however "medium" may be deconstructed.

As far as the clean and proper body (Kristeva) of the cdrom, yes; it won't
otherwise _run,_ and one doesn't have to talk about a book _running._ And
books do take on the auratic quality of personal history and intimacy. But
I would think instead of _other_ modes -

Home video, home cds, television, cable television, Net art, film includ-
ing Imax, video games, not to mention the "blanks" of dvd, cdrom-r, cdrom-
rw, audio and video tape, etc. all of which are storage devices for hand-
ling work that can't otherwise be (re)produced. My work, is in greater
alignment with these. If we were confined to the personalism of the book,
we'd throw out, in fact, almost all of contemporary artistic practice.

Alan

Internet Text at http://www.anu.edu.au/english/internet_txt
Partial at http://lists.village.virginia.edu/~spoons/internet_txt.html
Trace Projects at http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/writers/sondheim/index.htm