Gary Chapman on 22 Aug 2000 16:34:55 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> L.A. Times column, 8/14/00 -- Tech Policy(part2of2)

Ronda Hauben has a strong background in the history of technology
policy in the U.S., and equally strong opinions. Getting into a
debate with her about the history of U.S. S&T policy would be
interesting but unfortunately something I just don't have time to do
these days. Moreover, the kinds of things we disagree about would
require serious megabytes to develop, and would be like trying to
squeeze a dissertation into a Palm Pilot.

Joel Yudken and I published a long critique of US S&T policy,
including the Clinton-Gore approach, as well as a lengthy set of
recommendations about what we should be doing instead, in our 1993
publication "The 21st Century Project: Setting a New Course for
Science and Technology Policy." This was a 250-page document that
would be difficult to summarize. I'd also recommend, as a critique of
the Vannevar Bush model of science, Dan Sarewitz's excellent book,
Frontiers of Illusion: Science, Technology and the Politics of
Progress (1997). (Dan was the late Congressman George E. Brown's
speechwriter in the early 90s, when George was saying many of the
things we were saying via The 21st Century Project, a remarkable
display of courage and vision for the chairman of the House Committee
on Science, Space and Technology.)

Basically, Ronda's difference with me is that she seems to equate
"basic research" with non-commercial, public interest science and
technology, and "product-oriented" research with commercial
interests. What the progressive S&T policy community has been arguing
for the last decade is that we need a strong basic research
infrastructure, but ALSO a targeted, results and goal-oriented
"technology pull" policy that is not serving commercial interests but
the public interest as a whole. Two Harvard scientists, Gerald Holton
and Gerhard Sonnert, have recently characterized these two approaches
as "Newtonian science" and "Jeffersonian science" (see
http://www.nap.edu/issues/16.1/holton.htm). Republicans, in the form
of ideologues like Robert Walker and Dana Rohrbacher, have condemned
"Jeffersonian science" and advocated ONLY "Newtonian science," or
"curiosity-driven" science instead of "mission-oriented" science.
While Democrats and progressives have no problem with Newtonian
science, they also believe it should be supplemented with national
goals and missions and that there should ideally be a "seamless web"
between the two approaches, as Harvey Brooks has put it. (The
difference between the Democrats and progressives is that Democrats
are much more likely to support programs that explicitly benefit
private sector interests instead of general public interests, and
Democrats are much more comfortable with elite-driven S&T policy.)

What Ronda doesn't seem to see is that the Republican position on S&T
policy is NOT supportive of critical national investments such as
those that produced the Internet. In fact, Repubican ideologues are
publicly arguing these days that the government's role in fostering
the Internet was a historical fluke and the system really only took
off when it was turned over to the private sector. Democrats are
countering that the Internet would have never happened without
government support and coordination. So there is a difference,
especially for programs like the Next Generation Internet at NSF or
the Internet 2 consortium.

Moreover, the Republican approach to S&T policy would intensify
universities' growing dependence on private sector funding for
research, they would increase the link between R&D and weapons
procurement, they would curtail or even eliminate many civilian
technology investment programs such as the Partnership for a New
Generation of Vehicles or the Advanced Technology Program, and they
would settle for a science community that simply pits one
sub-specialty against another for funding. Their philosophy is that
technology only comes from the private sector, and that all
technology is essentially a market commodity, and there is no role
for the government in fostering any technology that has any
non-commercial, public interest value. I'd say I have a lot of
problems with that philosophy and I think there's room in the
Democratic Party for a critique of that view, as George Brown
demonstrated during his final decade of speeches and work.

-- Gary

gary.chapman@mail.utexas.edu