V2_, Lab for the Unstable Media on Mon, 3 Dec 2018 18:52:12 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Evening of the Black Box Business // December 6

.
Title: Evening of the Black Box Business // December 6

Evening of the Black Box Business
A performative evening of commerce in the digital age

Date: Thursday December 6, 20:00h – 22:00h (doors open: 19:30h)
Entrance: €5,- (this includes one free drink)
Location: V2_, Lab for the Unstable Media
Eendrachtsstraat 10, Rotterdam

V2_Fellows and guests address the growing set of concerns about what goes on inside the black box, who has access to it, and which intentions it serves.

All trade and business are slot machine readable, even more so after the advent of our social algorithms. Rewards of manipulation are easier to gather then to predict a reliable outcome. Drawing from the brain behavior-designers businesses, again, they must expand!

— AI, trained with https://www.europeandataportal.eu, [2018-11-9T11:18:23+00:00]

The system the information society runs on is a black box, yet we know almost nothing about what goes on inside it. While our behaviour is increasingly shaped and determined by big data applications and machine learning algorithms this mysterious black box is largely driven by the desire of enterprises to stay on top in a competitive market. As the business model silently harvests information about us, the feeling is creeping up on us that the business of this inscrutable black box is to know us better than we know ourselves.

Featuring:

Miguel Carvalhais (PT)
Jerry Galle (BE)
Nicolas Maigret (FR)
Lars Nilsson (NO)
Kate Rich (UK)
Marloes de Valk (NL)

Time and Entrance

This event starts at 20:00h (doors open 19:30h). The entrance fee is €5,- (this includes one free drink).

Facebook event

For more information, or anything else: please send an e-mail to steffan@v2.nl

The activities at V2_ are made possible thanks to financial support from the Creative Industries Fund NL, and the City of Rotterdam.

V2_Lab for the Unstable Media
Eendrachtsstraat 10
3012 XL Rotterdam NL
+31 10 2067272
v2_@v2.nl

This email was sent to nettime-ann@nettime.org
V2_Lab for the Unstable Media · Eendrachtsstraat 10 · Rotterdam, Zh 3013 AA · Netherlands