Janneke Adema on Wed, 10 Jan 2018 19:11:15 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Launch of the Centre for Postdigital Cultures

.

7th February 3.00pm Disruptive Media Learning Lab (Coventry University)

Sign up here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/launch-of-the-centre-for-postdigital-cultures-tickets-41968258190

------

You are invited to the launch of the Centre for Postdigital Cultures (CPC), a new Faculty Research Centre at Coventry University. The launch will include keynote talks by 3 internationally esteemed speakers:

Cornelia Sollfrank (artist, researcher and educator)

Monika Bakke (Adam Mickiewicz University)

Mark Amerika (University of Colorado Boulder) (tbc)

Sign up here (https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/launch-of-the-centre-for-postdigital-cultures-tickets-41968258190to attend and to:

§  Listen to talks by ground breaking theorists and artists

§  Find out about Coventry University’s newest research centre

§  Meet the Postdigital Cultures community

§  Enjoy a unique performance from the Sound Book Project and a glass of wine!

------

The Centre for Postdigital Cultures brings together media theorists, practitioners, activists and artists. It draws on cross-disciplinary ideas associated with open and disruptive media, the posthuman, the posthumanities, the Anthropocene and the Capitalocene to explore how innovations in postdigital cultures can help 21st century society to respond to the challenges it faces at a global, national and local level:

  • how we receive, consume and process information
  • how we learn, work, and travel
  • how we engage and regenerate our communities

In particular, the Centre for Postdigital Cultures endeavours to promote the transformation to a more socially just and sustainable ‘post-capitalist’ knowledge economy. To this end, the CPC’s research includes projects funded by Jisc, the EU, the National Lottery Fund, and the Arts and Humanities Research Council. Members of the CPC are involved in editorial work for peer-reviewed journals such as Cultural Studies and Culture Machine, and in developing innovative organisations such as Open Humanities Press and the Radical Open Access Collective.

What Do We Mean By Postdigital Cultures?

The Centre for Postdigital Cultures belongs to the broader digital humanities field. Today, however, ‘the digital’ can no longer be understood as a separate domain of media and culture. If we actually examine the digital - rather than taking it for granted we know what it means - we soon see that digital information processing is now present in every aspect of our lives. This includes our global communication, entertainment, education, energy, banking, health, transport, manufacturing, food, and water-supply systems. The very idea of digital humanities – based as it is on a presumed difference between computing and the digital on the one hand, and the humanistic and human on the other – is therefore somewhat anachronistic and inappropriate. Attention therefore needs to turn from ‘the digital’ to the various overlapping processes and infrastructures that shape and organise the digital, and that the digital helps to shape and organise in turn. The CPC investigates such enmeshed digital models of culture, society, and the creative economy for the 21st century world.

This is why the CPC has adopted the term postdigital cultures. Postdigital cultures describes what comes: after the digital; after the digital humanities; and after the humanities - including humanism and the human (i.e. the posthumanities).

Research areas covered by the centre include:

·       Post-capitalist Economies

·       Creative Archiving and International Heritage

·       Digital Arts and Humanities

·       Posthumanities

·       Affirmative Disruption and Open Media

·       The 21st Century University and Art School

One of the aims of the CPC is to envisage alternative forms for society in the 21st century world of postdigital media cultures, beyond the all-pervasive algorithmic surveillance and control of market capitalism and its metrics. Exploring issues of collaboration, community, the commons and the ‘Capitalocene’, the goal is to facilitate new articulations of culture and society that call for a radical rethinking of the relationship between the human, technology, the economy and the environment.

To celebrate our launch we have invited 3 internationally esteemed artists and academics to deliver public keynote lectures, which will be followed by a drinks reception and a performance by the Sound Book Project.

Where:

The Disruptive Media Learning Lab, 3rd floor, Lanchester Library, Coventry University.

When:

February 7th 3-8pm

Schedule (tbc):

3:00-3:15pm:               Opening introduction

3:15-4:00pm:               Keynote Monika Bakke

4:00-4:45pm:               Keynote Cornelia Sollfrank

4:45-5:15pm:               Coffee break

5:15-6:00pm:               Keynote Mark Amerika (tbc) and closing

6:00-8:00pm:               Wine reception and performance by the Sound Book Project

Sound Book Project is a group of collaborating artists and musicians who use books as instruments.
 Books will be wound, sprung, strummed, slapped and thrown to create a soundscape that evolves around the performers. By interacting with books in new and surprising ways, the Sound Book Project enable books to speak for themselves.

Dr. Janneke Adema

Research Fellow Digital Media Centre for Postdigital Cultures| School of Media and Performing Arts Faculty of Arts and Humanities | Coventry University

Book Review Editor, Cultural Studies

ademaj@uni.coventry.ac.uk | ++447808738388

www.openreflections.wordpress.com | http://twitter.com/Openreflections

http://radicaloa.disruptivemedia.org.uk/

Gold rating for teaching excellence
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)

Ranked No.12 UK university

The Guardian University Guide 2018

UK’s highest ranking new university

The Guardian and the Complete University Guides 2018

Top 6 for Student Experience

The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018

NOTICE

This message and any files transmitted with it is intended for the addressee only and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. Unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you are not the addressee, you should not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee.

Any views or opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Coventry University.