criticalthemes on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 16:45:04 +0100 (CET)
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
<nettime-ann> CFP | TRANSGRESSING MEDIA
- To: nettime mod squad <email@example.com>
- Subject: <nettime-ann> CFP | TRANSGRESSING MEDIA
- From: criticalthemes <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 18:42:17 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=y2I2G3nbqAy6gazHY4UenfOVlPujK2FJDCQsX5opuMg=; b=AcAB9vJJgNhBq3x6eFyKmB+jdmDSCl0bB9Yx55DPG8YwFmLg1RnqRHk3P8s46gctck kyoz8VLckD1v5jemrYjOflgsPn9LhYKzg3KlON/4rOURmkjNi7pwrh+fU+wWYS3Fi5nC l5wNFpKjv7MXuTLPamgSC1IXc5sThl0FfjITHqodrc0KtdU6ZyWBjq9klVhmzFBXy2jW Ogu72yVFTkVZP+te87EtxQuoRbjLIe+6TveTVTTchWTf8fD4BSy/QMQ/xdsjEXao+SB7 +H76Ug/CUceCS/Vv+uqK+PPzXng2Hf5xaAYZE+ql9+UkeChLNIdFdMAnsIa+NvH/T6rB G27g==
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
14th Annual Graduate Student Conference School of Media Studies
CRITICAL THEMES IN MEDIA STUDIES
The New School
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: JANUARY 1, 2014
April 5 - 6, 2014
trans·gress /trans 'gres,tranz-/
1. infringe or go beyond the bounds
The graduate students of the School of Media Studies at The New School announce a call for proposals for the 14th Annual Critical Themes in Media Studies Conference that will take place Friday and Saturday April 5 - 6, 2014. This year,we welcome graduate student theorists, practitioners, and artists to share works and projects on the concept of transgressing.
In the contemporary media climate, the notion of "boundaries," whether defined, fluid, or imagined, has undergone productive shifts in a multitude of social, political, economic, creative, and technological research arenas. Responding to pressures of transition, critical media investigations offer formative influences in the buildup and breakdown of boundaries. The Critical Themes in Media Studies Conference invites insights relating to the complex understanding of transgressing media. We wish to showcase papers and artworks, including digital media projects and installations, that explore the notion of transgressing considering, but not limited to, the following questions:
In what ways are contemporary media revising or deviating from established norms by conceiving, perceiving, or disregarding boundaries?
How do emerging media transgress established media? What about our contemporary culture encourages transgressing? Do disciplinary boundaries elicit and encourage transgression?
What approaches in media design evoke spatial schisms?The School of Media Studies at the New School, a pioneer of progressive education, was designed from its inception to be a home for both theory and practice-based scholarship. In keeping with this tradition, we welcome submission of academic papers, artistic works for exhibition, and interactive projects from graduate students across all disciplines.
Paper and Project Submissions: We ask all applicants to present their work in an abstract of 200-300 words describing the concept and content of their presentation.
All submissions must be received by January 1, 2014.
To submit and for more information, please go to criticalthemes.newschool.edu/2014/
Submitters will be notified of the committee's decision by no later than February 14, 2014.
The conference and exhibition will take place at The New School 66 W 12th Street, New York, NY 11021.Please direct any further thoughts to Bria Cole and Lauren Treihaft, at email@example.com
Critical Themes Graduate Conference
School of Media Studies | THE NEW SCHOOL
nettime-ann mailing list